Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Headers burning up my starter!
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I went and picked up a replacement starter from Chucks. The old one was from Schucks so it has a lifetime warranty. I have to use a starter from a ’01 or ’02 Suburban w-BBC. That is one of the few starters with an offset bolt pattern and it is a mini high torque already, my block is a Rhear and Morrison and has the weird starter bolt configuration. It cranks my big old engine OK. I am not running very high compression, only 10:1, but there are a lot of cubes and an high lift roller cam with ridiculous valve springs which makes it a little hard to crank, but not really bad.

I ordered the aluminum Moroso heat shield and will partially wrap the header pipe that gets close to the starter. If this fails, I will sell the headers and install some Doug Thorley’s where they can run down behind the engine and not cause a problem. Project for next weekend, this weekend I will be freezing in the mountains “claiming” that I am hunting.