Hot Rod Forum banner

headers on camaro

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  camarored81 
#1 ·
Hi i am new here so maybe this is a stupid questioon. I have an 81 camaro 350 that the stock manifold leak on. I can fix it with new exhaust gaskets and doughtnut gaskets but I am thinkg about just going to headers. Can anyone tell me what kind of mod will be neccessary. thanks

#3 ·
welcome......

nah, there are no stupid "questions"......only stupid "people" who don't ask questions

to answer in "shorthand form"....your in the introduction forum, need to ask the question in the engine forum and give all the details on the car....but first click on the "knowledge base" link above and drill down for articles/how to's....and/or use the "search" link above for discussion threads on Camero's and headers

#4 ·
Moving this to engine forrum.........I believe that you can buy Block Hugger style headers that are a direct replacement for your manifolds. If you want full length headers, they are a bolt on too, but you will have to cut your exhaust pipes back and install collectors.

#6 ·
Is your Camaro manual or automatic? '81 was the first year with computers. Does your car have an O2 sensor?

Just keep in mind that the manual transmission cars do require a little bit of extra work for proper fitment of long-tube headers. Some headers require some trimming on the driver's side lower control arm bracket (not the arm itself).

On the 2nd gen camaros, you can also run into problems if: your body bushings are worn (collectors can hit floor boards), your floor boards are sagging, or if your car's subframe has shifted (probably not the case, but if you car was ever wrecked...). All of those problems can be addressed, but just keep your eyes open.

If you have an O2 sensor, you may have to move it if you go with long-tube headers... I'm not sure on that one...

Some people report problems with their starters (the solenoid gets hot & the car leaves them sitting). My car is running a mini-starter to avoid this. I'm told heat shields can help as well as modifying your setup to use a ford-style starter solenoid (like the early Mustangs used).

Now that I've scared you with all the possible problems, I have long-tubes on my 4 speed 2nd gen with a mini-starter & I am real happy with the performance. :welcome:

#7 ·
camarored81 said:
Hi i am new here so maybe this is a stupid questioon. I have an 81 camaro 350 that the stock manifold leak on. I can fix it with new exhaust gaskets and doughtnut gaskets but I am thinkg about just going to headers. Can anyone tell me what kind of mod will be neccessary. thanks
You can get your manifolds refaced at any machine shop and eliminate that problem.

Hooker makes headers that are correct fit.

#8 ·
Big Mouse said:
... '81 was the first year with computers. Does your car have an O2 sensor?
Excellent point!

When I first installed headers on my 81' Z28, it ran like ... Well, you fill in the blank. Like Big Mouse mentioned, the factory carb is computer controlled, as well as the timing. After I installed headers, the lean condition caused the car to run terrible. Here's the whole story

If you put headers on it, be prepared for a new carb and distributor/ignition.

Good luck, Ed

www.edgesz28.com

#10 ·
camaro headers

thanks for the advice. i don't know about the law but my two year old son does not like the noise, i would hate to scare him away from the car. The computer system had been removed before i got the car so no o2 problem or carb problem. eventually i want to put headers and new pipes/muffler on so i may go that way now. thanks again

david

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.