Hot Rod Forum banner

Headers and exhaust

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stroker_SS 
#1 ·
I put some flow tech headers and a new exhaust system on my car over the weekend. It's 2 1/2 inch and the guy that did it does some impressive work. I went with an h pipe for an extra 20. I bought some flowtech afterbuner mufflers. I think it sounds mean considering only a few mods and no rebuild or cam. I don't have a stock tranny its a th-350 now and I couldn't hit first. The headers are in the way. I ended up bustin the cable. It's alright though I'm gettin a b&m this weekend. That'll solve that problem.
Other than that it's way way more smooth runnin. It's actually pretty unbelievable. I'm also installin a accel coil this weekend. It should throw a lil more hp to the engine. It was a truck engine so the torque is there just not the hp. I figure the headers and coil should give me around 20-30. What do you guys think? Thanx

#3 ·
While I wish you luck, I think you might take manufacturers' claims of HP gains with some reservation. We've seen too many members who added the advertised gains together and wound up with a 1,000 HP 283.

#5 ·
I don't know about 20-30 hp extra, 15-20 is probably more like it. I generally estimate 7-8 for a good exhaust system, 7-8 for a good set of headers, 15-16 total. That might be a bit conservative, but I'd rather be a little on the conservative side than labeled as a braggart. Expecting 15 hp :D and getting 20 is much more fun than expecting 30 and getting 14.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.