Headers for small block in an A Body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Are we there yet?

Wiki Edits: 0

Headers for small block in an A Body

I would sure like some input on what headers work best with a small block in a GM A body. I'm putting a zz4 with angle plug heads in my '68 GTO. I would like to run full length headers but I'm worried about ground clearance and general fit. The Hooker comp headers that are on the Pontiac motor that is in it now have a number of dents from dragging on speed bumps etc, and they were a bugger to install. There sure are a lot of headers out there for a Chevelle. Anybody got any experience or thoughts they'd like to share?

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

If they don't HAVE to be full lenght headers

Many company's make shorty's...I like Sanderson's, you can have the exhaust system custom made to fit your application, or try www.sandersonheaders.com they also sell custom build headers and just might have something for your application. Get back to us and Let us know how you do...it's always a pleasure to help!!

Tazz

Last edited by tm454; 12-17-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Last photo:

If you decide to go with shorty headers you might as well go with no headers at all. The offer none of the benefits of a set of full length headers. I have a set of Sanderson shorty's and IMO they are vastly over priced.

Vince
Old 12-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Are we there yet?

Thanks for the responses. I agree that block huggers or shortys don't work as well. I'll definitely use full length even if I have to weld a skid plate in front of them. I've seen them that tucked up under pretty tight but I don't know who made them. Before I pluck down my hard earned cash I'd like to know how they'll fit.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldphart
I'm putting a zz4 with angle plug heads in my '68 GTO. I would like to run full length headers but I'm worried about ground clearance and general fit.

Thanks,
Mike
As a Moderator here,
I would like to WELCOME YOU HERE......

Another issue is with the ZZ4 heads......a lot of headers will not clear the angle plugs.

I have this same issue.......

Good Luck.....on your quest....
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

Custom Fit May be the Best

If you are concerned with ground clearance then a custom fit headers maybe the way to go. Shorty headers are getting better in producing more HP but to me they are a looks thing more than anything else. I'm going to shorty's on my 66 chev truck because of air bag suspension and the low ride height. I realize i won't get much more HP (maybe 5-10 HP)but they will look good ceramic coated with a nicely detailed motor compartment, don't ya think? You're spending a good chunk on the motor what's a little more for custom headers? Good luck and WELCOME to this web site!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Are we there yet?

I agree Bud that the shortys will look good in your truck. I'm not sure how much horsepower gain they'll provide. I may need to go with custom headers but I'm more of an Ebay/swap meet kinda guy. Not because I can't afford it just because that's part of the fun for me. I've got four classics, all drivers and all built with as little money as possible. I picked up the zz4 from a truck that burned. I bought new total seal gapless rings and new Pro Magnum roller rockers for it and I'll still have less than $1500 in it when it's finished. Have you had headers built that you were happy with? If so by who? Thanks for the input.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

Great Deal on the Motor

Good deal on that motor you scored!!! Those kind of deals don't happen too often. I too am the thrifty kind of guy. I never have had to have custom headers fabricated but I have seen some custom header kits you can buy. These are for the home fabricator like myself. I just figured the shorty's for me would give me the looks and the ground clearance that I want. Plus I'm still not sure what motor I will use in my truck, a 350 or a 283. The 283 is the original motor and was running when I pulled it. The 350 needs more work and wasn't running very well when I pulled it from my van. Good luck with your header dilemma and good score buddy!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Youre confusion is not logical

Last photo:

I have a 400 SBC with angle plug AFR 195s in a 1977 442 and I use Dynomax long tube headers, part number 86001. There is more than enough clearance for the angle plugs, and fit fine in the compartment (custom motor mounts though). Mine are also ceramic coated, and looked nice when I bought them, but after three years they are rusting. You may want to get the painted ones and have them coated with something better.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.