Hot Rod Forum banner

headlight, charging, wiper, taillight

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've been reading tons on this forum fixing up the family 50 Ford. A little back story... My dad bought this very car in 1964. after all of these years my brother and I have attained the car and decided to update her and put it back on the road, she's not been drivable since roughly 1970. We have gave her a fresh paint job (Candy Brandy Wine), rebuilt and put a mid 80's (1984 I think?) 302 in her with a C6. Also a new steering column out of a mid 80's GM. Now to my questions, if I could be so bold as to ask and you all be so grateful to offer guidance. I would like to use the windshield wiper on/off and headlight dimmer that exists on the GM column and would greatly appreciate, if ya'll knew, which wires I would splice into to access them. and to add to that if you can direct me as to where to direct wires for charging for the alternator. and finally the rear brake blinker running light splicing info. running a 2 filament bulb for the taillights. I know it's a lot to ask from a new guy but any help would make my day! thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
wiring info

GM wiring uses the same colors for different components, but different sizes. When I was an engineer at Ford we used to say the Gm guys only got an 8 crayon box as a kid.
some other questions.
what instruments are you using ? ,
heater blower and windshield wipers, electric 12 V conversions.
I bought an aftermarket wiring harnesss at a swap meet, no documentation , BUT it was reasonably priced. I downloaded instructions and used them to wire the 36 pontiac.

EZ2Wire - Hot Rod Wiring Harnesses and Accessories

#5 ·
I am currently running a carb on the car, getting all the parts, wires, etc from a mustang HO fuel injection, but that's something down the road where the carb already is fine on the car. everything on the car is just basic 12 volt conversion. I did put LED brake and taillights in the car, but they are set up like the common 2 filament bulb that originally went in there. we have the factory radio in there at the moment, but I have been shopping to put modern sound system in her. The wiring harness I am putting in is a "Gearhead Enterprises Inc" wire harness we got at the Frog Follies car show a few years ago.

#6 ·
Perhaps you guys are giving me to much credit... what I need to know on the alternator, which plug in is the exciter wire? the bat, fld, sta or other I only assume is a ground? I have a wire labeled, just don't know which one to stake it onto on the alternator itself.

#7 ·
I'm slowly banging away at the 50, next question is I want to put a relay for the headlights, which seems to be the recommended way to go. I am using modern halogens so how many relays should I use? 1 for each side I am guessing, so 2 relays? and can any of you recommend a part number for the relay? every time I go to the parts store they are always asking make and model, well this isn't exactly the original 50 anymore so the original equipment isn't going to work.

#9 ·
Your local chain parts store will also have those relays, and socket bases for them too. Just did this a few weeks ago on my buddy's '69 Nova. We used the column controls also to run the wiper, and simply used relays, as the wiper column controls are too light to run load through them. We left the existing wiper switch in the dash, and it just stays in the on position, and is powered by the relay and column control.
We used the Speedway 20 ckt. harness, and this is the 4th one I've installed. They're $165, and a dream to put in.
Speedway Universal 20 Circuit Wiring Harness - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Here's the instructions that come with it, which will give you some great reference info for wiring any car using a GM column. I put a Camaro tilt column in my '63 Falcon with BBC, and the Speedway harness. The instructions really helped with my custom gauge cluster, and other wiring I did to change from factory stock.
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/Universal20Circuit.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.