Hot Rod Forum banner

headlight help

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  scrimshaw 
#1 ·
I have been told that australian headlights when dipped go to the left hand side of the road . If I buy headlights from U.S.A do they go to the right hand side when dipped if so would they blind oncoming drivers in AUSTRALIA ?. Do you have to change headlights if you import a car from U.S.A. to AUSTRALIA

#6 ·
Chevrolet4x4s said:
Might be wrong but couldn't they be rotated 180 degrees to solve the issue :confused:
Shane
Nope----will not fit in the buckets

A high beam lamp will not fit in a low beam bucket and visa-versa
There are 3 nubs that locate each sealed beam unit into the bucket.
And I don't think is possible to rotate the buckets either as they are also mounted with a triangular pattern.

Bryan

#7 ·
An interesting note

I was talking to a fellow shop owner and he verified the headlight styles being different. He owns a Hoppy 1000 headlight aimer and they have different adapters for Europen and US headlights. He called Hoppy to ask why and they said it was because our roadsigns were higher so the right side of the beam has to aim higher so we can read them. You say potaito they say potato. In any case they are indeed different. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Don't they drive on the left side of the road down under.

Headlights made for countries that drive on the other side of the road do dip to the other side. British cars that drive in Europe have to add a patch on the headlights to block/ counteract the low beam that points to the left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.