Headlight switch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Headlight switch?

The headlights in my 1972 Ford truck have developed a problem lately. After they have been in use for an extended period they will begin to flash on and off. I first noticed this one dark and stormy night as I was hauling a S10 pickup about 14 miles north of Jefferson Iowa. Since it was raining that day I had my lights on all day and when it got dark I noticed my lights were flashing. They would go off for a couple of seconds and back on. I made it into Jefferson and spent the night in a motel room since I assumed that would be safer than try to drive the 50 miles home with intermittent lights.

I have driven it several times at night since but only short distances until Friday night when I got delayed. Once again I was north of Jefferson hauling another pickup, only this time it was an F250 Ford, when it got dark on me. I turned on my lights and drove all the way home without a problem. As I pulled in my driveway the lights began to flash.

Just the headlights flash on and off, all other lights stay on. On my truck the other lights are protected by a separate circuit breaker located under the dash on the passenger side of the cab. I am assuming that the circuit breaker protecting the headlight circuit is getting weak and that is the source of the flashing lights. Does this sound reasonable to you?

I think replacing the switch should cure this problem but I cannot get the knob off. I have never replaced a headlight switch and I just cannot find the magic formula for knob removal. Chilton's is no help and I have searched the knowledge base to no avail.

So how do you get the knob out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

headlight switch

you gave to look up into the light switch mounted under the dash. You will see a little silver button which you have to push in, in order to remove the knob. The knob is mounted on a shaft that goes all the way through the switch, and when you pull on the nob, with the button depressed, the shaft will come out with it.

This button is what prevents the knob and shaft from coming out of the switch when you pull it out to turn on your head lights.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

i would bet money your problem is in your dimmer switch. that is what happens when they go bad. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Ford doesnt use Relays for there lights so quite a few amps go threw the dimmer and light switch. Melted connectors are common causing loss of connection as they heat up....another possibility Put a volt meter on your battery while this is happening your regulator for the alt may be dropping out and on.Be shure to check the grounds to the headlights it should be somwhere near the rad support. Black wire most likley
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

dimmer switch

Its ironic that the dimmer switch being faulty didnt jump out at me as I had that same problem with two different Fords within a month, several years ago.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:40 AM

Last photo:

the same problem is happend to me on my 65 mustang.....
so it goes like this....

the problem tends to fix it self this happened to me like 2 years ago, for a week, but then the problem fixes itself....then again another year the same problem headlights flashing......then week later it fixed it self....
and now.. like in dec..of this year (2004) i bought that after market headlamps. . and like a week later i drove it and i noticed it started flashing again they flased then for a while they would stay on.....so i hurryed home.... but i said to myself this has happend before in the years that past,snice the mustang is my project car and i live in a apratment i dident bother working on it and its been like 2 weeks that i havent driven it......and i myself assume if i change the headlamp switch....it will fix it self... anybody else has an input on this mystery? i will go ahead and replace the headlamp switch and give you guys an update..

thanks
Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side2004.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	3298  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.