Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   headliner (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/headliner-233764.html)

Hwyhogg 06-09-2013 07:17 PM

headliner

anyone here ever make a headliner for a panel truck?
thanks

DanTwoLakes 06-09-2013 09:31 PM

What would you like to know?

Hwyhogg 06-10-2013 04:58 AM

Everything..lol. I don't really like the bow type headliners, so I'm wondering if I could make a pattern using thin wood and how to best secure to roof after it's covered with cloth..thanks

DanTwoLakes 06-10-2013 07:14 AM

Does this panel truck have supports across the roof from the cab back? Could you take a picture of the inside? The best way to do a "hard" headliner is to attach a piece of 1/4" luan plywood to the roof supports to be the base and then glue PVC foamboard panels to the base with top and trim contact adhesive. This could be done in two or three sections.

Hwyhogg 06-10-2013 01:34 PM

Okay..got a good picture in my head now. Yes, it does have "cross-supports" that run from side to side along the contour of the roof. Do it kind of like a sub floor would be done, then cover it with some shag carpet...lol. (SHAGgin' Wagon). So simple---thanks for the response and guidance! Hardest part may be transitioning the bed area to the cab roof...it looks a little different...the foam board should be easy enough to cut and shape though.:thumbup:

DanTwoLakes 06-10-2013 02:49 PM

You want this to be as solid as you can make it, so attach some 8" wide strips of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood to the metal cross supports from front to back in about 4 different places. Use plywood, preferably hardwood plywood, because it doesn't warp. Use one of the Evercoat adhesives between the plywood strips and the metal supports, and then screw the strips to the metal. That's the base for your 1/4" luan plywood. Don't use crappy luan plywood, get the best quality you can find and put the best surface out which will make it easy to get a good bond between the PVC final layer and the luan for the top and trim contact adhesive. I did a hard headliner in a '47 Ford with a grid of hardwood plywood strips attached at the front, back , and sides. It was so strong I could actually hang from it with no problem. There are pictures of it in my project journal.

Hwyhogg 07-01-2013 06:52 AM

Nice car! Do you have pics of the frame work?

DanTwoLakes 07-01-2013 07:04 AM

Sorry, no I don't have pictures of the headliner framework.

roccodart446 07-01-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwyhogg (Post 1683257)
anyone here ever make a headliner for a panel truck?
thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hwyhogg (Post 1683382)
Everything..lol. I don't really like the bow type headliners, so I'm wondering if I could make a pattern using thin wood and how to best secure to roof after it's covered with cloth..thanks

I don't like the bow type either. I made one for my last car. What I did is used a mid 70's headliner, the coated cardboard type and covered it with new style headliner material. This was not hard and the side trim and the dome light held it up no prob. It also yielded more head room. If you needed more support a couple blind plastic auto press in retainers would work fine. This type of headliner board is easy to come by or maybe you could rob one out of another car like I did.

DanTwoLakes 07-01-2013 09:02 AM

You did notice that he wants to make a headliner for a panel truck, not a car, right?

roccodart446 07-01-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes (Post 1690127)
You did notice that he wants to make a headliner for a panel truck, not a car, right?

yes, and he didn't want a bow type. What would be the difference in making one for a car vs. a panel tuck besides the size? The materials are the same. And as far as robbing one to make his, of course he couldn't use a car headliner. BUT how about something bigger like a van, wagon etc. Worst case scenario he could buy material stock and just cut and apolster his own.

DanTwoLakes 07-01-2013 10:40 AM

What would be the difference? Other than the headliner would be twice as long and probably wider with no trim to hold it up around the edges, probably very little. Headliner board has to have something to hold it up.

roccodart446 07-01-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes (Post 1690154)
What would be the difference? Other than the headliner would be twice as long and probably wider with no trim to hold it up around the edges, probably very little. Headliner board has to have something to hold it up.

Did it have a headliner stock? I don't know. If it did there is trim. If it didn't it doesn't matter what he does it's a fab as you go deal? I'm only interjecting a possibility. I like mine more than plywood as earlier suggested but I suppose that needs no support or trim.. Listen Dan i'm just trying to help. If my ideas don't appeal to you let the OP reject them.

DanTwoLakes 07-01-2013 01:53 PM

The older panel trucks were very utilitarian. It would not probably have had a headliner. I'm sorry if I have somehow offended you, but I do this for a living, and what you're suggesting would be more work with fewer design possibilities, and less possibility of success. I'm not saying what you suggested would not be an alternative if he was doing a car instead of a panel truck.

The head liner would not be done on plywood, the base for the headliner would be plywood. This would give him the opportunity of doing the headliner in three or four pieces. The headliner itself would be done out of the vehicle on PVC foamboard and then glued to the 1/4" luan plywood base.

Hwyhogg 07-01-2013 06:18 PM

I did look at trying to use a headliner from vans, but all I found were the molded foam boards that would bend and crease when I tried to reshape them. My biggest issue has been formulating system to tie in a headliner with the side panels and a way to trim the seams that doesn't look totally shadetree