Headliner alternatives - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Frmly sc*ot.

Wiki Edits: 0

Headliner alternatives

I finally have taken down the drooping fabric headliner of my '87 Olds. Instead of gluing new fabric up, just to have it fall down again a few years from now , I am thinking about other ways to fix it. I was thinking about spraying the board with some kind of foam or bed liner to give it a texture, kind of like a home ceiling, and then painting to match the car. Does anyone have any suggestions or other ideas for coating?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Last photo:

What you are suggesting will work, but in my opinion will look like %$#@. If the board us reusable clean it off and spray some contact adhesive on it and apply a new fabric. The glues of today are vastly improved over what was probably used on your car when it was new. BTW DO NOT use 3M #77 spray contact adhesive.

Vince
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Try this! http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...4+1987/c-10101
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

i went to walmart and bought a peice of fleece and used it between the cardboard and the head liner vinyl and then got some gorilla glue and a paint roller and put the glue between all of those peices and then rolled it flat it is working very well right now it's been about a year since i did that
Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 AM

Last photo:

Glass it glue it forget it!

I have had decent luck reusing the stock liner with new fabric,, remove the cloth, lightly sand the liner board tio remove any dingleberries, give it a layer of resin only, give it another good scuffing, I used contact cement for laminating wood, read and follow directions, the stuff i used had to be put on both surfaces, it'll never come off!! BTW test small area with resin first,, It may try to eat it, I've never had it happen but its possible
Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

No on 77.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
What you are suggesting will work, but in my opinion will look like %$#@. If the board us reusable clean it off and spray some contact adhesive on it and apply a new fabric. The glues of today are vastly improved over what was probably used on your car when it was new. BTW DO NOT use 3M #77 spray contact adhesive.

Vince
Vince, why not the 3M Spray? I'm curious, I almost bought some 77 today. Is there a better 3M product to use? I have used stuff called "Big Stick" to redo the headliner in my '88 Pontiac Safari wagon, and it worked great, but I had to mail-order it. I am looking for something I can find locally. There is another product I've seen called "Stick It" does anybody have experience with that stuff?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28

Vince
man i wish i woulda read this about a week ago. im pretty sure thats the stuff i got ahold of, wasted 12 dollars and entire afternoon of frustration trying to get the stupid fabric to stay stuck. im trying a vinyl looking fabric i got at wal mart. real nice looking. which probably isn't helping my situation, but im gonna get some better adhesive and try it again.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-BodyFan
Vince, why not the 3M Spray? I'm curious, I almost bought some 77 today. Is there a better 3M product to use? I have used stuff called "Big Stick" to redo the headliner in my '88 Pontiac Safari wagon, and it worked great, but I had to mail-order it. I am looking for something I can find locally. There is another product I've seen called "Stick It" does anybody have experience with that stuff?
The stuff is not suited at all for fabric work. In spite of what the can says, it is not permanent. One of my other hobbies is building radio control aircraft, large ones. We use foam for a wing core and either epoxy or a contact adhesive to bond either a balsa or Luan plywood skin to the foam core. Quite a few years ago some hobbyist stumbled upon 3M #77. It gained in popularity due to it's convenience. What happened with the wings bonded with 3M #77 was, in the heat of summer the glue would let go. A foam core wing gets it's strength from the sheeting that is bonded to it. There were numerous in flight wing failures of some expensive aircraft. The word got out quick about 3M #77. it's great for sticking photos in a book and such, but forget it for automotive use, or radio control aircraft.

Vince
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 PM

Last journal entry: more finished pics
Last photo:

He is right about #77. It is the most readily available spray adhesive but do not use it for a headliner or anything that will be exposed to heat. I used it on a headliner a couple years ago. Everything looked great until I parked the car in the sun with the windows up and the interior got real hot. Came out to find the bond broke and the new headliner sagging. Ended up using another 3m product found at Home Depot but can't remember the number. It was about 50% more expensive though.
Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Stuck in the 30's

Last journal entry: Back in the saddle again - almost
Last photo:

Bob,

The number your looking for is 3M Super Trim Adhesive #08090. That's the more expensive one.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.