headliner board - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 04:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

headliner board

I have my board out of my truck. It is in good condition and I am about to remove the old fabric.
Qestion 1. is it better to coat the board with a sealer before applying the adhesive?
2. Will an upholstery fabric without foam backing be better, worse or the same to use as a fabric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

HI: Just make sure you get all of the old fabric, foam, and adhesive off the board before you try to re-glue any fabric. The board has to be perfectly clean and smooth. Anything you leave behind will telegraph through the new fabric, and may not stick. If you can find foam backed headliner material it will be less likely anything will show through. Make sure you use a high temperature glue to glue whatever fabric you choose to the board like DAP weldwood landau top and trim adhesive. Follow the instructions on the can to the letter. A small board like you have should be no problem for you at all. It's just like a good paint job.......the more time you spend on preparations, the better the job will be. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. Sealing the board will help as long as the sealer is good and dry before you glue.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. Sealing the board will help as long as the sealer is good and dry before you glue.
What is a good sealer to use? The reason I ask is that the material I removed was like a thin carpet. It was on very tight and I believe I removed the slick surfact from the board. The only reason I took it off is that it was black and did not match my interior. I picked it up at the salvage yard. I put a little contact cement on one corner and it went right into the board. A second coat over it also went in.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Any good clear sealer. You want to close the pores of the board and make a good solid surface for the glue and fabric. You can put three coats of contact cement on the board and the fabric, no problem. Spray the contact cement on. Let one coat dry completely before applying another. Be real careful when you start to apply the fabric to the board that you don't stick it tight until you are ready. Start from the middle and work out to the edges.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Any good clear sealer. You want to close the pores of the board and make a good solid surface for the glue and fabric. You can put three coats of contact cement on the board and the fabric, no problem. Spray the contact cement on. Let one coat dry completely before applying another. Be real careful when you start to apply the fabric to the board that you don't stick it tight until you are ready. Start from the middle and work out to the edges.
What would you suggest - varnish, lacquer, shelack - oil or water base - brand name?
Also did you ever hear of using carpet as a headliner material? It stuck very good - too good.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You can use anything that strikes your fancy as a headliner material. The problem with carpet is it's thickness and stiffness as far as moldability (is that a word?) If you like the look of carpet, try Spectropile which is a smooth,synthetic, carpet-like product that doesn't unravel like some carpet can. It cuts with a scissors, it's thin enough to use as a headliner and comes in a lot of colors. It can even be sewn together.
As far as the sealer, a can of good quality spray shellack (which you can get at any hardware store) should do the job. I'm not sure what brands would be available in your area, ask the hardware guy. If you'd like to see a sample of Spectropile, I can send you a piece and order you whatever color you like at my cost. Tell me what color and what size you need. Let me know by personal message what you want to do by Monday, July 3rd.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.