headliner board material - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

headliner board material

Anybody know where to get the paperboard for headliners?? It's about 1/8"thick.

I need to make a custom headliner for my 41Willys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Last photo:

Why not 1/8" Luan plywood?

Vince
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 AM

I use the 1/8" ABS plastic. Rodoors has it its pricey. I use it because you can heat it and form it to whatever shape you want. Tom
Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Last photo:

The 1/8" plastic is a good idea about heating and forming it. I have seen 1/8" plastic sheets at Lowes, may give it a try.

Vince
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

The entire top of the car is curved so the Luan is out, I use it in model airplane so I'm well acquainted with it. The ABS would probably work if it was about 1/16. It would take a lot of heating and several hands to hold it up. The cardboard on the back of calenders would work if it is wetted a little. still short of turning the body upside down it is a real problem. I may just use smaller sheets and use a temporary velcro fastening. Then while it up there I can use epoxy glass (slower setting) and glass the whole thing. Still a big project. The local upholstery shops don't even want to look at it. They probably have already been stung once.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Last photo:

What stage is your car in? Can it be turned upside down? Mine is suspended upside down right now as I finish the underside getting it ready to paint. I built a simple wooded fixture for supporting it. Four of us rolled it over on it's side on an old matress, then rolled it over on it's top. Then as they lifted it up I slid the wood supports through the body. I have pics of it in my album if you wish to take a look. I was considering glassing a removable headliner while it was upside down, but have since changed my mind. There is a web site that you can go to and see how one person did his 3e Ford body. www.project33.com use the search word headliner.

Vince
Old 03-03-2006, 06:36 AM

I did one in a 51 Chevy truck. I got the front back length I needed and just either poprivet or use small screws to hold in place till I got it formed and attach as needed. Tom
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

You might try laying the plastic ON TOP of the car. Heating it until it just barely soft and let it lay down on top. Then it might fit inside with a little trimming.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

That's really not a bad idea. I could trim around the windows and make up for the difference in size. Just pop it in and add the curved pieces around the windows. I'll look into it further.
Off the shelf I even considered blowing up a weather balloon inside to force the glass against the curves. Kinda like reverse vacuum forming.
I followed the 33 construction. Worked pretty well for it but mine is very much more (???) curvey.
As far as turing the body over...I'd rather not do that as it is pretty well mounted now. I like the idea of rolling it over on a mattress. At least something can roll over on the mattress.. if you know what I mean haha.

One upholstery shop wants to use the wire hanger method. I'm not really very interested in this as it gives too many seams and trying to get all the wires to lay where they are supposed to be is a real problem. Some of the old cars had this and the dumb things used to spring down at the wrong times like when you are running with the windows open and ......whap the headliner is wrapped around your face.

Right now I'm collecting all the large calanders I can get for the backing. It's just the right thickness.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I can do a willys headliner in my sleep, ive done at least 7 or 8 of them. easy for me, but check some of them out on my website.

the calender board stuff you are talking about is called chipboard. i use it alot, but for patterns only, i wouldnt want to piece it together for a headliner. that stuff warps like you cant believe when it gets even remotely damp.

buy the chipboard here http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_...ords=chipboard thats where i get it from, excellent service
Old 03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Great ideas, my Willys is getting ready for the upholstry shop now, and he is waiting for it. I am going through the same thing now.

Jason
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 AM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:

Bows?

So did a Willys not orginally have bows that you suspend the headliner from?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

Willys did have a bow headliner. Aftermarkets typically have a ash runner over the doors and most use plygrip and boards to install like Krist is talking about.

I do the same unless I get into a roll bar car like I am dealing with in my project journal.

I agree with Krists comment on calender board but there are many other panel board materials out there. My only comment is that most hobbiests dont have access to it. I buy mine directly from the mills that produce it solely for OEM's.

I have several thickness of board that is laminated together and that has a barrier film laminated to it. I use it mainly for small gap conditions when I need major curves like the headliner on the Willys.

I also use the Calender board when I need to make small shields but then coat it with fiberglass resin to stiffen it and seal it from moisture.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

headliner board material

This is a really good set of instructions and pictures on doing a 41 if you like this style. Starts at post #18:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38449
Old 03-16-2006, 06:50 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Thanks for the great info. As soon as I can dig out from 14 inches of snow and it get a little warmer I'll have a look at it again.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.