Headliner bow problem. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 AM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Headliner bow problem.

I'm getting ready to put a headliner in the rambler so, I installed insulation in the roof this weekend that is about 1/4" thick. Now, the bows are too tight. Has anyone else had this problem after adding insulation? Do I need to shorten the bows? Thanks Guys.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

DO NOT shorten the Bows unless you are making a new pattern as the reduced height changes the panel sizes especially in the rear corners.

Different insulation is used and have different stiffness. In some cases it requires a little more effort to pull the liner but the insulation will compress. Other times when the material deflects the bows too much I do the following.

Mark the bow line from side to side on the insulation. Then you can do one of two things 1. cut a slot in to allow the bow to sit in (but you need to be actuate as the bows move to make the panel taught) or 2. cut a "V" slot in the insulation The "V" should be at least 1/2" wide and the depth of the insulation.

I recommend the "V" as the bows need to rock front to back when you start pulling the corners and center. This will allow the bow and listing pocket to sit near its original location. The other thing to remember is that the listing has to slide laterally over the bow to make it tight so the cleaner/smoother the bows are easier they with tighten. This is critical as you have additional pressure now on the outside of the listing.

Hope this helps. If I have mis understood your situation wrong let me know.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

Creativeinteriors, Thanks for the tip. I see your point on shortening the bows now. I'm not sure where the bows will end up so, I would'nt know where to cut the insulation for clearance. I don't have my headliner yet. I'm having SMS auto fabrics in oregon make it, they are the only ones I found that claim they have the pattern. Will having the headliner help me locate where the bows will end up? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

the headliner will definately help. The way you start is to set Header bow (usually creates a crown over your head, it tends to be fairly fixed in its position with a brace that comes off the header that the bow locks into with a "toy tab") then measure the panels seam to seam in the center bow.

This will give you a pretty good reference because not all bows go straight cross car side to side. Many travel on a slight arch.

Hopefully you know the order the bows go, but dont worry if you dont. The bows should create a barrel effect by themselves. The sides are the give away not the center.

The other thing is that alot of bows had stamped part numbers on them or at least a number. I am not sure what yours may have but I would take a look at them before you start sliding them into a headliner and trying to sort it out.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.