Headliner help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last journal entry: Hauling it home from Dixie.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Headliner help.

I recently started the job of freshening up the interior of my 74 Javelin. I'm having real trouble with the headliner. I purchased some of the foam backed cloth material that is common in most cars these days. I asked the upholstery guy if the 3M 77-spray adhesive would work as a bonding agent and he replied that it would be suitable. Here begins the problems. I cleaned the old headliner material to remove dust and other contaminates. I then lay the headliner material on the old headliner and folded half of it back over itself. I sprayed the headliner with the adhesive and pressed the material in place. I repeated this with the other half. I then installed it into the car. Several hours later the material was sagging and the bond between the material and the headliner was broken. I removed the headliner and gently peeled the material back. I re-sprayed the headliner and the material with a medium application of adhesive. I again installed the headliner. Today I went out and found several small areas where it had again sagged. The problem is they were internal and there was no real way to separate the material and get at it to try a heavier coat of adhesive. In trying to separate the material from the headliner I managed to tear the material. Now I have some areas that are really bonded and will not separate and some areas where with coaxing have separated. Iím afraid Iíve ruined the headliner, as I canít get the foam separated. Does anyone know of a way to break the bond between of the adhesive?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Unfortunately whoever told you the Super 77 would work is full of crap. That stuff doesnt work for much. 3M FoamFast would work alot better for a foam backed headliner. You could pick up a can of 3M adhesive remover, and soak the chunks that are still on there to release the glue. Then scrape it off.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last photo:

I'll give the adhesive remover a try and get the proper bonding agent for my next attempt. Thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last photo:

I spent the last two hours removing the headliner. The 3M adhesive remover worked in getting the foam off. How clean does this thing have to be for the foam fast to work? There is a residue left from the other glue and I'm afraid if I use to much of the adhesive remover it will destroy the bond between the old headliner material and the insulation it is attatched to.

Thanks fo the help so far kristkustoms.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin360
I cleaned the old headliner material to remove dust and other contaminates. I then lay the headliner material on the old headliner and folded half of it back over itself.
Am I reading you wrong on this, or did you lay the new headliner material out and glue it to the old headliner material, as it sounds like you're saying? I hope you removed all the old headliner and foam residue away from the headliner backing board before installing the new material to it. You have to get all that old material and foam off the board before applying the new glue and material. Any old glue, foam, or material will show through the new material leaving a bumpy and possibly unglued surface. When I redid mine I removed the headliner board out of the car and laid it flat on a workbench, using a wire brush to remove all the old material and glue, and then used sandpaper on several spots to smooth the surface before gluing on the new liner material.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last photo:

The old headliner is a molded fiberglass with a vinyl type material bonded to the fiberglass. If I remove this vinyl material I'm left with just a molded fiberglass. Note the vinyl type material isn't really a vinyl. It's more like a fiber but I do not have any ideal what to call it.

I have a headliner from another Javelin that the original material separated from and is basically just a piece of molded fiberglass. I doubt that the fiberglass alone would be of any use to me unless I sealed it with some sort of resin.

Before I screwed up and applied a sub-standard adhesive the original vinyl was very clean and free from an irregularities. After two hours of work I am left with a material that is free from irregularities but still has a slight tackiness from the old glue residue. So the question still stands. Will the 3M Foamfast hold the new material in place if I am unable to get all of the old glue removed
Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

wait a sec...if you are trying to adhere the new headliner material to the old vinyl headliner, it will not hold. regular spray adhesive will NEVER stick to the face of a vinyl material. they make vinyl cement that resist plasticizers, but im pretty sure it is for cementing the face of vinyl to the face of another piece of vinyl, i dont think it would work for the face of vinyl to foam...
Old 06-11-2006, 10:45 PM
slammed88

what is the proper adhesive to use to attach new material? I too have a sa gging headliner and need to repair.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last photo:

I my last post I mention a vinyl type material and then note that it's not really a vinyl it's more like a fiber but I do not know what to call it.

My previous attempts did yeild very good adhesion in some areas. In these areas the glue was paticularly heavy. My problem now is getting all of the old glue residue removed. I think that has taken care of itself though. The headliner has had a chance to completely flash all of the adehesive remover off of the surface. Most of the residue is gone with a few areas that are self evident and will need another going over.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

i gotcha...sounds like with a good cleaning of the residue, and scuffing it, and with the FoamFast adhesive you should be set.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast51
what is the proper adhesive to use to attach new material? I too have a sa gging headliner and need to repair.
I was going to use the foam fast that kristkustoms recommended but then I found an adhesive from Performance Products.

It's called Performance High Temp Trim Adhesive. It Bonds Standard Headliners, Carpets and Foams. I've had the headliner in the car for close to two weeks and it looks great. PM if you want the # of the outfit I got it through. You may be able to find it doing a google search.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.