Headliner PVC? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Headliner PVC?

Searched and read where Dan used PVC for headliners, a guy local has the PVC boards, but will it do what I want..? Roof of a 51 Chevy, slightly bowed but has a fairly tight curve at the ends above the doors. And I'll stop at the factory trim in the rear, how do you work the PVC to shape? Apply heat and press into shape? Also, what's the best way to attach it to the roof? I can use panel clips above the doors..would I need to double the board there and put clip ogles on the inner board, and what glue? PVC glue? Or landau high heat contact glue?
Thoughts? Thanks

Ps, what about abs for door panels? These are flat but same question as to glue? And again , clips? Would you just double the boards up with holes in the back board, or just use a single board, which clips then? Because wouldn't want to see the clips through the vinyl...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Here's a couple pics, You can see it can attach at the sides, be held up by trim at rear, and kinda has a shelf to sit on in front, do I need to attach it in the center or mayby just glue in some foam blocks so it won't touch the roof?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Check out this thread: Custom Headliner for '36 Ford Pickup Also look at this thread: Door panel tutorial Those two should answer your questions.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, already read , but read it again! When you say the headliner is secured to the roof, how? Just at the edges? Do I need some sort of attaching point near the center, or would just a small rigid foam block glued in the center hold?

As far as wind lace, at the top of the door ill just attach it directly to the metal and then butt the headliner to it, but going down the front and back of the door, I'm not sure, the a pillar, I could just make a covered trim piece to go on top of the wind lace, but the rear?.....
I was just going to glue the vinyl to the metal, but not sure how to run the wind lace, and finish it out, suggestions?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I just realized I never explained how the headliner board is attached in my tutorial. Each vehicle is going to be different. I was limited with this truck because I didn't have enough fabric to do it like I wanted to. On this truck, the front end is just a friction fit under the sheet metal, with a couple small screws to hold it in place. (make sure you don't screw into or through the roof of the truck!) The sides have two metal braces going from the PVC to the metal above the door, and the rear was attached to the area above the rear window with metal braces. You will have to plan the attachment points out ahead of time. The headliner fabric is then glued to the area above the doors and the windshield, and glued to the bottom of the headliner panel above the rear window. In this case, the raw edges were covered with separate trim panels on the sides and front, but the edges could be done just like a normal headliner is finished off. Another panel covers the rear of the headliner panel from above the rear window down to the floor. This could be two separate panels instead of one. Remember, the headliner is not attached to the roof of the truck.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-21-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
I was just going to glue the vinyl to the metal, but not sure how to run the wind lace, and finish it out, suggestions?
The windlace can be attached around the door with pop rivets. Did your truck even have windlace originally?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, pop rivets is probably the way to go, originally had metal strips and wind lace slipped into a channel,

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.