Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   headliners (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/headliners-227724.html)

biged04 12-30-2012 06:42 AM

headliners

1 Attachment(s)
hello all...... newbie here, I enjoy all the info here, very helpful.... Thank you...... I have a 68 chevelle that I'm gonna try to put a board type headliner in, with some design added in it, I have read the link to the hamb from skipstitch and it really helped, just wondered if anyone had pics of how they did it in a 60's model car ? Dan ? is it pretty much basically on any car like I read from skipstitch's post ? ( I saw it was an old post but no one had updated with anything newer ) I have been doing upholstery as a hobby for 2 years now, I have learned alot but can see I still have alot to learn. Also Dan, when you did those door panels that were made up of different sections, how did you attach the sections to the board ? just landau top glue ?

Gonna try the 4 bucket seats in the chevelle with a custom console from dash to package tray with the leather hides I got from Santa...... what kind of seats have you guys used to do this ? Dan ? anyone ?..... lol.... sorry to keep hitting on you Dan but you seem to be the resident advisor and always have good answers..... I got to buckets from an 91 ? oldsmobile bravada ( looks like a chevy blazer ) but then I realized they dont tilt forward to allow access to the back seats ???? heres a pic of them that I found on the web, not the best shot but I like the rounded inserts in the bottom and back and wanted to re-do them in red and black leather in the same style, with of course, some flair added....

Go over to the introductions page and you'll see my chevelle and nova and a few picutres of some seats I have done ....... look forward to some answers and pictures of what you guys have done.

Thank you guys in advance........... Eddie

DanTwoLakes 12-30-2012 07:52 AM

Hi Eddie, and welcome to Hotrodders. As far as the hard headliner goes, I don't have any pictures, but the most important thing is to have a solid base to attach the headliner to. This is accomplished with a piece of 1/4" luan plywood. Then the headliner can be done outside the car and be glued in place after you get all your design work done.

The sections of the door panels were glued in place. If you look at the pictures again, you'll see that there's really only one piece that is completely glued (Landau top and trim adhesive) in place. The rest of the pieces are glue in place, but overlap each other.

As far as your seats go, you can buy seat bases that tilt forward. Check places like Summit Racing for those.

biged04 12-30-2012 04:03 PM

Thank you Dan and thats the piece I was wondering about, I saw the other 2 were glued down, under the last piece that went on, just wondered if you used anything else ( clips, screws ) to hold the 2 together..... I'll check summit on the seat brackets you spoke of...... Thank you Dan..... Eddie