heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

heads

I removed my heads from my block to replace my cam. someone told me that there is a sequence to follow with tighting the head bolt screws, is that true? What torque shall the screws be tighten to? Also, i am contemplating purchasing a self alinging (comp cam) rocker arm with a 1.6 lift and new push rods. I plan on using the rockers with a stock cam, (stock rocker is 1.52) how will the new rocker affect the effecincy of my engine?

Shall I replace my head gasket eventhough they are new? I used the engine about 200 miles prior to this project. I have good gasket by visual observations.

Project: later model small block 350 (4 bolt)
1969 Malibu

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
floppers forever

first things first,why did you take the heads off to change the cam?vavle springs?
next,why 1.6 rockers?not worth any gains as compared to putting money and horse power into balancing ,carb,intake,headers,ignition,fuel system.just my thoughts.
finale,yes you start in the middle and work in a circular pattern working clockwise,fisrt torque them to 20ftlb,then 40ftlb,finale 65ftlb all working from the middle working in a circle.don't forget the thread sealer on the head bolts.
yes you need to change the head gaskets atleast i would.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 PM

heads

removed the heads to inspect the condtion of the cylinder walls (my mistake), did not remove the springs. the high performance auto parts i visited suggested i use these rockers for easy upgrade and performance, so they said (rockers are the same price). if i have to perform major adjustments to the carb, fuel system etc. i would perfer to go with the stock 1.52. what is your recommendation? how true is the information i received at the auto parts.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Changing from the stock 1.5:1 ratio to a 1.6 rocker ratio has a minor tuning effect at best.
On a "stock cam" you are wasting your time and money by swapping the rocker ratio. its just an easy way for the auto parts store to get you to part with your money. If you want a real performance improvement buy a new camshaft and lifter set. There is a lot LOT more power to be had there even with stock rocker arms.
Even a cheapy $69 Cam & Lifter Set will increase the power more than swapping to a 1.6 rocker arm on a stock cam.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.