Heads back from machine shop.... pics inside! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heads back from machine shop.... pics inside!

Hey guys so I finally got my heads resurfaced after my engine exploded and damaged the head surface. This is the link to the original post with pics and a video inside that I posted months ago Blow-by 383 rings not seated? (video inside) . Anyways a couple of the combustion chambers (as you can see in the pics) were damaged pretty bad from piston material. I brought the heads down to a reputibale machine shop and the owner said he sees heads like mine come in all the time with similar damage. He said it will not be a problem they will just take a few thou off the surface and whatever damage is left over will not affect anything. Below are the links to the pics of the head with the most damage AFTER it has been resurfaced.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5979.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5980.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5981.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5982.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5983.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5985.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5986.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5987.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5988.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5989.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...n/IMG_5990.jpg

As you can see there is still some significant scoring on these chambers in particular. He told me to just get rid of any high spots and it will not affect how the engine runs opposed to if it weren't damaged at all. My concern with all of this is the fact that the majority of damage is in the quench area and if there is a hot spot in this area then the rebuilt engine will detonate and i'll be back to where I am now. What do you guys think judging by the pics I've provided? The guy at the machine shop seems to know his stuff and wouldn't be lying to me I would hope, I just wanted to make sure everyone agrees and that I shouldn't run into any problems with the condition these chambers are in.

Thanks for any help/advice,
Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Im by far not an expert of cylinder heads but I know mechanical design very well. I wouldn't have even bothered to rework this heads. I would see already issues in sealing the heads to the block with all this deep impacts. I dont know how good they checked this heads but I would also be concerned about structural damages. The one pic shows a nice crack already that for sure will not get better over time. If it would be my heads I would give them to the scrap metal dude. It would hurt me a lot money vise thats for sure but better save then sorry! But thats just me.

Tomi
Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
More for Less Racer

You say they were just resurfaced a few thousands?? Why not more?? You have enough material left next to the edge of the intake valve seat to remove .030-.035" from the deck surface, which will remove virtually all of the damage pits. It will raise the compression ratio, but you will be removing material inside the chamber with a grit roll when you smooth them out anyway and this will minimize the compression gain. They can easily be fixed better than they are now. I personally would not run them as shown in the photo's . Take them back and tell the machinist to cut more, and then also correct the intake flange side to allow a good intake fit with the heavier deck cut.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
More for Less Racer

I want to add, a good machinist would never let them back out the door looking like that unless the customer said to take the minimum cut or do the job as cheap as possible, even after advising against it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM

There is 0 damage where the gasket lay....... the heads will still seal perfectly. The damage occoured with the engine together so the head gasket protected the sealing surface. I am going to smooth out the high spots you see in the pics but besides that should I be ok? The heads were bought brand new by myself working 9-5...... $1600....... and have under 1000km on them, I have been told by more than one person they can be saved. I would really like not to think I wasted $1600 like that.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
More for Less Racer

Head should be fine if it passed a pressure or crack test, easily savable, but have the deck cut more to remove the damage.

Let me guess, "hyperpathetic" pistons??
Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexypizzaman
I am going to smooth out the high spots you see in the pics but besides that should I be ok?
Hold off on doing any hand work just yet. Find out how much was removed just now. Add that to anything that was originally removed (if any) when the heads were first built, pre blow-up.

If there's anything left- and take the quench measurement and the available head gasket thicknesses into consideration here- have the decks resurfaced the amount that you can make available.

Only then consider doing the hand work on the damaged areas. And remember to re verify the push rod length and geometry when you are done.

But I believe these heads will be reusable when all's said and done.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Head will be ok to use. I get this type of damage a few times a year. Smooth up the rough spots around the chamber edge and run them.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with using those heads as they are, the pits will fill up with carbon soon enough anyway. You would be risking far more removing extra deck material to remove what is basically a cosmetic blemish. As long as they MAG out alright (I doubt you will find anything) go ahead and use them. Do what Bob recommends and have fun.

I have to wonder about some of the "advice" given in this post. What crack?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Anyone remember the stippling that was the deal some years back? It was done sometimes to the combustion chamber, sometimes to the tops of the pistons. You get to try it on the quench surfaces.

Too bad they all don't match- you could be on to something! Instead of singh grooves, you got singh dots.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

Those heads are fine. I would use them and never give it a second thought. When your around racing engines you see damage like this. I have run heads like this with no issues.

To the person that recommended that the shop should have kept milling them down. The more you remove from that surface the greater the increase in static compression. The Machine hsop was probably smart enough to see that the engine was detonated to death and didn't want to make matters worse.

Keith
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You say they were just resurfaced a few thousands?? Why not more?? You have enough material left next to the edge of the intake valve seat to remove .030-.035" from the deck surface, which will remove virtually all of the damage pits. It will raise the compression ratio, but you will be removing material inside the chamber with a grit roll when you smooth them out anyway and this will minimize the compression gain. They can easily be fixed better than they are now. I personally would not run them as shown in the photo's . Take them back and tell the machinist to cut more, and then also correct the intake flange side to allow a good intake fit with the heavier deck cut.
So if I do have more removed how do I correct the intake flange side to allow a good intake fit? I spoke with the machine shop today and told the guy that he should've removed as much as possible until interference with the intake valve seat....... He started explaining to me he didn't because it messes up the geometry of everything. I can see that by removing say 0.035" from the head deck surface you are also lowering the intake and exhaust bolt holes by that same 0.035" while the intake manifold keeps the same bolt hole positioning. I would much rather have this done proper this time around and not risk a problem in the future due to a hot spot leading to detonation and i'm back where I am now out another $2500. I don't see what the problem would be taking more off if I can correct the geometry with the intake mani and valvetrain/ pushrod length? I can keep my comp. ratio at 9.8:1....... the only 2 things I have right now are the heads and block so if I get more material removed and end up with 70cc chambers and get some dished pistons and end up at 9.8:1 then what is the big problem here?? I think the biggest issue I am facing is how I will properly align the intake with the heads after they have been milled down some more. The heads have 75cc chambers as it is right now so taking that much material off won't make the chambers too small. The guy at the machine shop will do it I am pretty sure he just wants me to understand the issues I will face with the changes in geometry, I think those issues are nothing compared to the issues of this happening again in the future.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
WFO

Last photo:

FWIW, those look to be nicely done CNC ports and chambers.

With chambers that big, are these are aftermarket heads, if so, this should mean there's plenty of deck to work with.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

In your pics I see a few raised rough edges on the dege of the combustion chamber/deck I would smooth by hand and then run 'em.

Why did this motor get hammered to death ? You need to address and correct the cause.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I'd use them after I had Keith clean them up, I'm getting lazy.
Rich

Hi Keith hope all is well with you & yours.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.