Heads for Ford 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 07:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heads for Ford 302

Hello everyone. I have just purchased a 35 Ford truck. In the deal I also received a freshly built 302 which is balanced and bored 30 over. It currently has 289 heads on it. The pistons are said to be forged 10.5-1 compression ratio. Please bare with me as I am a long time Chevy guy trying to learn a bit about Ford small blocks.
What I was told is that the short block was built really well and is a great engine but the heads could use to be upgraded as the guy ran short of money while having the engine built.
By the way this is a 302 from a 68 Mustang.
Can anyone suggest which heads I can get that will work well on the street? Also I do have an edelbrock intake with a 630 holley.
Headers and 411 gears in the truck.
I would like to keep the cost down as money is a bit tight after buying the truck. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks a lot..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

FOR THE MONEY, YOU CAN NOT (sorry to yell) do better than a set of the cast iron gt-40p heads. if you want to blow more money, and go faster, the afr's seem to be a popular choice. but when i do my 289, its getting gt-40's .............
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Evil as I wanna Be

Last journal entry: First time out in 8 months!
Last photo:

Cast iron GT40s all the way, if you're on a budget. You can pick up a used set for $300-$400. They have a 1.84/1.54 valve size, and they react really well to mild (or wild) porting. I ran high 12s on mine when it was still a 302. Judging by the rest of your combo, they'll work well. They're alot less restrictive than the 289 heads. GT40 P heads are another option, like Larry said. The only difference is the exhaust valve, which is 1.46 rather than 1.54. You'll also need a set of GT40 P specific headers (the spark plug holes are set in a weird location, making use with stock headers impossible). if you decide to go with the cast irons, let me know. I know of a set around here for cheap. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I would get the World Products heads. Get the 1.94 1.50 valve ones. The Windsor Jr. heads.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

World's casting can use some work, but that's on the top of my list for my 351W
Old 03-21-2004, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

There is some really good info on the GT40P heads here. Also info on flow data comparing a number of heads.http://www.stangpro.com/html/article...les/gt40p1.htm What do we know about the cam at this point? I also have a set of used Edelbock Performer RPM's and FMS 1.6 RR's in the garage, that came off one of my old 351W's. For the right offer I might part with them. 3K miles on the heads.

Ron
Old 03-22-2004, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

302 heads

The TFS twisted wedge head is the best head for your 302, straight out of the box. It requires no mods to run, and even with the big valves, you can go to a 520 lift with over 230 degrees with out flycutting the pistons. I have a set on a 351W, Been there done that. Dont waste your money on steel heads unless you have to run them per rules. airflow tests have shown the Twisted wedge to be the best going with out any porting work. And they are cheaper than the other alloy heads, to boot.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:40 PM

Hi Ron and everyone else. Thanks for the replies! As for the cam I will not know until this weekend. There is a brand new cam and lifter set for the engine but the fellow who sold this stuff to me did not know the specs. The cam card is however in the box so I will see that on this coming Saturday. The previous owner claims it is THE cam to use but who knows?
That will be a wait and see thing. I am glad to see there are some good heads available for that engine. This might be Fun!
Thanks again everyone......John.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: 302 heads

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
The TFS twisted wedge head is the best head for your 302, straight out of the box. It requires no mods to run, and even with the big valves, you can go to a 520 lift with over 230 degrees with out flycutting the pistons. I have a set on a 351W, Been there done that. Dont waste your money on steel heads unless you have to run them per rules. airflow tests have shown the Twisted wedge to be the best going with out any porting work. And they are cheaper than the other alloy heads, to boot.
up north we have to deal with weather changes more drastically, maybe not in bc, but in manitoba i know that i wouldn't want to run alums on a iron block, that's just asking for trouble if you want to run the car in spring or fall when it gets REAL cold. I've heard that alums had a bad rap, and since the machining of the mating surfaces has gotten smoother there has been less problems with leaks, but when temps are extremes, they tend to still have problems.

On a track car, i would, but on a daily, i wouldn't
Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Re: 302 heads

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Keith
The TFS twisted wedge head is the best head for your 302, straight out of the box..........
I think you might get some debate on that.

Coleman396

The most important thing is matching up the parts to obtain optimum performance. Since we don't know the cam specs, that's kind of tough to do.

Seeing as how there is a $$$ consideration, the advice on the iron heads seems best at this point.

If somewhere down the road you decide to step up to aluminum, take a look at the AFR 165 heads. A good head for a properly setup 306 with the right cam.

Have fun with your new toy.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

302 heads

as for weather, we get anywhere from -20 to 110 degrees F. Ive run the heads on the street for 5 yrs. with no problems. I run a 230 degree solid lifter cam with 104 degree lobe separation and a 510/515 lift. not that wild a cam. I dont know of anyone that has had problems with aluminum heads on fords. Yes price is a consideration, but for $300 more for the Twisted Wedge heads over a set of steel heads, it worth it in my book. The Twisted Wedge heads have fantastic flow numbers at low lifts and durations as well. from what Ive read, they are a solid 50 hp bolt on to a stock 302/5.0L . out of the box with no sacrefice on bottom end. Were I to go with steel, I would be inclined to go with Roush heads, with 1.94/1.60 valves. since money is a concern, that way you dont have to fly cut the pistons.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:53 PM

Hi Guys. Okay,I got the cam specs for this engine. It is a Crane hydraulic kit #130052. The duration is 272 degrees with intake and exhaust lift both being 484. The truck now has Sanderson block hugger ceramic coated headers. I see in some articles that I have to be careful which heads to use as these headers may not fit .
Any suggestions? Anyone want to give a guess as to what kind of power this engine would make?
It is balanced-bored 030-10.5-1 forged pistons. The intake is an edelbrock "F4B" and it has a 630 Holley on it. Also it is using an M.S.D. 6A ignition box and blaster coil.Thanks for any help.
John.

Last edited by Coleman396; 03-27-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!

look into the ford motorsports n351 heads. let me know what you are doing with the 289 heads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.