heads, inner springs falling apart?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Do you feel like we do?

Wiki Edits: 0

heads, inner springs falling apart??

i need some expert advice here, i can't figure out why all the inner "dampner" springs have fallen apart. they've broken into pieces, the valve springs are rated at .515'' lift max. nothing else is damaged, the guides are fine and so are the valves. the springs on the exhaust side have been shimmed, probably due to seats that needed to be recut. but you can see where the inner dampner springs are hitting those shims too. i run a Comp Cams XE268 @ .480 lift with 1.5 proform roller rockers. pushrods are hardened steel, stock size. what is going on and why are the inner springs falling apart while everything else is ok?? no one at the machine shops seems to know what is going on.. also the valve guides were cut shorter so nothing would hit. someone help me figure about this mystery... thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM

Maybe the retainers are collapsing the inner spring farther than the outer one? they might not be the right ones.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:54 PM

Last journal entry: The floor going in
Last photo:

how many valves has this happend to,i would put new springs in and then get someone to bar the engine over and you can look and see what is going on with the valve movement and springs ect
Old 10-14-2004, 12:08 AM

You might not even need em,check the pressure of the outer ones and see if they will suffice.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Do you feel like we do?

<how many valves has this happend to,i would put new springs in and then get someone to bar the engine over and you can look and see what is going on with the valve movement and springs ect>

the engine doesnt need to be bored over.. it is brand new. right now we're eliminating things that it couldnt be... the head shop needs a few days to come up with an answer, my guess is they just put the wrong damn springs in...

what other variables in choosing the right spring besides how much lift it can take? is there a spring size... i.e. height???
Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 PM

Last journal entry: The floor going in
Last photo:

bared over i mean turing the engine over by hand to see the valve movment,i take it the vavle guides are good and the vavle seat are fitted correct?
stevie wounder dosent work at the machine shop?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:54 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

You've been given some good advice already. If you know what company made the springs, call them and see if anyone else is having the same problem, it could just be a bad batch of springs.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:03 AM

My bet is still that the retainers didn't match the springs and mashed the inner ones to far,its not an uncommon thing to see especially if your pushen em to the limit,comes from getting in a hurry and not checking,sometimes people only check the o.d and assume its right,it often happens but never poses a problem because the cam doesn't have enough lift to thrash em so nobody is the wiser. Maybe they never checked the installed hight or may have just used to less of spring.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Find a different shop to question. The shop you had it built at may be covering their *** so beware dude...double CK anything they tell you to get the skinny on the subject. Never hurts to have another set of hands or and extra brain to ask question of. Something is definitely NOT right so....somebody has to come up with the RIGHT info to set it up right...RIGHT?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Last edited by tm454; 10-17-2004 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 AM

No doubt

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.