Heads installed backwards....is it possible? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2002, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Heads installed backwards....is it possible?

On a small block chevy, is it possible to have the heads installed backwards? What I mean is, is it possible to have the head that is supposed to be on the right bank of the engine actually installed on the left bank and visa versa, or are the two sides interchangeable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

It should make no difference.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:11 AM

After years of throwing away perfectly good head gaskets I can assure you that you can't put them on backwards. The only problem I ever ran into was the possible loss of the threaed bosses for accessories, but that was only once, and I believe the reason was that the heads were not a matched pair. As far as operatiing the engine, no problem.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:06 AM

The reason I ask is that I am having oil pressure problems and one of the possibilities is that I'm pumping the pan dry because of oil drainback issues. I took off the valve covers from my Dart Iron Eagle heads to look at the oil drain back holes and I see two. There is one in front and one in back. I can't see down into the one in back but the one in front seems to not line up perfectly with the lifter valley, it seems to be half blocked (I can see part of the lifter valley and part of the deck), so I was wondering what the problem was, whether I had the heads on switched around or maybe the heads are machined wrong or the block is machined wrong. I dont' know, I'm fishing for answers to my oil pressure problem.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:40 PM

The heads, with the exception of the accessory mounting points are the same. You mentioned oil drain back. It is common that if you use a high volume oil pump you can drain the pan and pump a lot of oil into the heads and lifter valley at high rpm's. This is why Lingenfelter recommends against the use of high volume oil pumps unless you are going to increase the size of the drain holes going through the block and heads.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:33 AM

The only problem you might have is that the gaskets either have the holes in the wrong placement,or,there are not enough holes punched in the gasket,to line up with the oil flow and return passages. I did Chevys for a lot of years,and I've seen that happen,but,there is not a left or right in standard made heads. On special made aftermarket heads there maybe a left and right,because of special drives or mounts,but normally this would be one off specific design requests. I do Mopar now,and have run into the same type of problem with gaskets,for them. Sometimes you even might find more holes,this is so the gaskets can cover more years,with slightly different configurations,and sometimes there are holes there that make no sense at all.
SPIN
Old 07-10-2002, 04:18 PM

what kind of pump are u using and at what rpm are u losing pressure and what kind of pressure are u running. the mellings oil pumps lose pressure at low rpm. same on dyna gear and some of milodens.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.