Which heads should I get? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Last journal entry: new wires for the hot rod 39
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which heads should I get?

I got it running this spring, now I want "MORE!"

I have 355/700R4 w/3.83? rear end. My cam is 455/455 lift 218/218 duration and my heads are 333882 which have 1.71/1.5 intake exhaust, 76 CC heads...so I have domed pistons for about 9.5 compression.

I kinda sorta think I want new heads with big valves, but I want cast iron (afraid of aluminum heads but don't exactly know why), and DON'T want to have to hang different pistons. Most heads are down about 60cc...ain't that going to make my compression way big? Can I leave the bottom alone and pick out some heads, plop them on and go faster?! MORE MORE MORE!

R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	More Power.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	33584  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you went with Vortecs it would put your compression at about 10.5:1 which (if you're careful) can run pump gas. My concern would be that the domes for the old-school heads won't fit the heart-shaped Vortec chamber.

I agree with you on the aluminum... their main benefits are weight reduction and ease to port, but nothing earth shattering. They will however help your octane tolerance in this situation.

You can go aftermarket and find some larger chambers
Old 10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

If I were spending your money, I'd buy a set of AFR 180cc/75cc heads.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwruther
I got it running this spring, now I want "MORE!"

I have 355/700R4 w/3.83? rear end. My cam is 455/455 lift 218/218 duration and my heads are 333882 which have 1.71/1.5 intake exhaust, 76 CC heads...so I have domed pistons for about 9.5 compression.

I kinda sorta think I want new heads with big valves, but I want cast iron (afraid of aluminum heads but don't exactly know why), and DON'T want to have to hang different pistons. Most heads are down about 60cc...ain't that going to make my compression way big? Can I leave the bottom alone and pick out some heads, plop them on and go faster?! MORE MORE MORE!

R
If you're looking to keep that same type of head, the smog heads, look for a casting 487, 487x, 993, or 441. They will have either 1.94 or 2.02 valves, flow numbers are nearly identical to the 882 and are not as prone to cracking as the 882 casting.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
drive it like you stole it

Last photo:

I agree w/ techinspector1 but then again I'm a die hard AFR fan after many many hours of research and then planting a set on top of my 383.
Definitaly watch that compression w/ the domes,,,stick w/ 76cc chambers. Its all about the right combo of heads, cam, intake, and carb (of course more cu.in.'s doesn't hurt either).
If you can slap on a set of cast heads you can do aluminum just as easy (just follow torque specs and sequence). You may end up having to use different pushrods,,,lengths may be different w/ new heads depending on deck height and mill of the head.
I even threw a belt and got my motor a bit warm a couple of times w/ alum. heads and never had a problem (maybe I just got lucky but it did happen).

Alum. will disipate heat better, remove weight, and often have better sealing surfaces,,,so why not?

Last edited by derekg383; 10-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

heads question

Just my 2 cents, but I put on a set of trick flow heads ($999 through summit), with 9.5 compression and an edelbrock performer RPM cam. My 400 made 445hp & 485tq all under 5700 rpm, and had over 400 ft/lb at 2500 rpm. It works great in a street car.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
If you went with Vortecs it would put your compression at about 10.5:1 which (if you're careful) can run pump gas. My concern would be that the domes for the old-school heads won't fit the heart-shaped Vortec chamber.
How can you figure the compression that a way? And what is "being careful", how do I be careful? Also, (while I admit being dense here), how would I go about figuring if my piston dome would fit the Vortec chamber. Do I ask the guy selling the Vortec heads or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirtis73
I agree with you on the aluminum... their main benefits are weight reduction and ease to port, but nothing earth shattering. They will however help your octane tolerance in this situation.
Is this because Aluminum conducts heat more readily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirtis73
[You go aftermarket and find some larger chambers
Same size as the ones on there now?

Thanks dude!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaintoast
If you're looking to keep that same type of head, the smog heads, look for a casting 487, 487x, 993, or 441. They will have either 1.94 or 2.02 valves, flow numbers are nearly identical to the 882 and are not as prone to cracking as the 882 casting.
So castings that go 333###x? (where ### is 487, 993, 441 etc.)

Seems I remember looking at a web site with casting numbers on it when I first had these heads. The site had a series of casting numbers and almost all of them had more digits than six...Am I remembering wrongly? So, will ANY head with a suffix like 487 help me out? DUH!?

R
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So castings that go 333###x? (where ### is 487, 993, 441 etc.)

Seems I remember looking at a web site with casting numbers on it when I first had these heads. The site had a series of casting numbers and almost all of them had more digits than six...Am I remembering wrongly? So, will ANY head with a suffix like 487 help me out? DUH!?

R
Yes, just look for the last three digits of the casting number, that's where you'll see the 487,441 etc.
These heads can also be milled pretty heavily and get your combustion chamber down into the 65cc range if that's something you want to do.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, just look for the last three digits of the casting number, that's where you'll see the 487,441 etc.
These heads can also be milled pretty heavily and get your combustion chamber down into the 65cc range if that's something you want to do.
I think if I mill the head, lower the combustion chamber volume to 65cc this would raise the compression above 9.5:1....and maybe poke the dome of my piston up into my head or the sparking plug or something. How do you hot rod guys know if your piston will squish a valve or beat up on a spark plug?

R

PS I sure wish I'd have had the bucks to get different heads in the first place. These domed pistons are messing me up!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think if I mill the head, lower the combustion chamber volume to 65cc this would raise the compression above 9.5:1....and maybe poke the dome of my piston up into my head or the sparking plug or something. How do you hot rod guys know if your piston will squish a valve or beat up on a spark plug?

R

PS I sure wish I'd have had the bucks to get different heads in the first place. These domed pistons are messing me up!
Yes, you would exceed that number, I missed you saying you wanted that for a C/R. As far as fitment, test fitting with your block, heads, pistons and cam is the only way to do it right.
I see you're from Michigan, do you ever make it over to MN?
I have some of these heads as raw castings and on the shelf, complete assemblies (check my website if you're interested).
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, you would exceed that number, I missed you saying you wanted that for a C/R. As far as fitment, test fitting with your block, heads, pistons and cam is the only way to do it right.
I see you're from Michigan, do you ever make it over to MN?
I have some of these heads as raw castings and on the shelf, complete assemblies (check my website if you're interested).
I've been to the twin cities before but don't get out much these days...so, nope no travels to MN... Colder over there than here almost, so no plans to go unless you heat the place up first!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.