Health of the hobby in your area? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I see one common thread that seems true here also. The hobby is driven by guys who are 50s to 80s. I can see radical change in the "cars-of-choice " is probably coming over the next couple decades. We are seeing more cars like new Challengers and such, as guys become too old to tackle the bigger projects any more.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

It's pretty solid here in phoenix, though a lot of what you see on the day-to-day is pristine muscle cars, 60's pickups (I'm guilty of this one) and late model pony cars. Personally I'd love to build a nice t-bucket with a 394 or something similar, but I can't deny what I grew up around- My next project is aiming to be a third generation Camaro.

For what it's worth I've never owned import, even as a daily driver. There's some I like, but none that have interested me enough to own. Closest I got to one was a Taurus SHO.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:57 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
those posers and check book rodders are the reason this hobby has grown to where it is . without them there would be no improvements or an aftermarket industry
i so agree with shine's comment. i struck up a conversation with a guy over his truck. he said 'i just wrote the check' i replied that that's what keeping the aftermarket alive. not guys like me that are junkyard shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I see one common thread that seems true here also. The hobby is driven by guys who are 50s to 80s. I can see radical change in the "cars-of-choice " is probably coming over the next couple decades. We are seeing more cars like new Challengers and such, as guys become too old to tackle the bigger projects any more.
i do notice that at 56 i am usually the young one in the crown.
blue hairs have the time and since the kids moved out, the money.
i know because i had to wait until the kids moved out to build truk

newer cars will never survive 30 years to be classics because of the electronics,
that is unless sema can pass some legislation that will allow aftermarket harness and computers in cars.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

My argument on behalf of check writers is that...... "Nobody has all of the skills necessary!"

I can do more than most, since I started building my own stuff in the mid sixties... and we were all broke young do-it-yourselfers!

One really nice thing is that, if you can afford to hire things done you can stay involved much much longer, as your ambition or health declines.

A few years ago I helped a guy in his late seventies to build a few simple but distinct projects. I helped him into his mid eighties, including a more ambitious joint project he did with his son that, I also painted. He was not just letting me do what I wanted, and he was also a little daring when it was possible to do something unusual.

I eventually took his last car project to a show, because he had to go for dialysis that day. The comments from people were surprising! ...and it was an honor to help!

He died soon after that, but his family showed him pictures of the event, and told him about the show-goer's reactions to his latest effort. I hope I can feel like a part of it to the end too! :-)

Here is his last car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4116047843.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	135426   Click image for larger version

Name:	4116047844.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	135434   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	135442   Click image for larger version

Name:	196098-1.JPG
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	135450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck L.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	135458  

Last edited by TucsonJay; 04-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

BTW... I'm not trying to hijack my own thread.

I just thought this story fit into the discussion about changing trends, and the age group driving much of the hobby.

Do you know any old-school rod and custom guys who are changing to newer models... (instead of '20s to '60s)... but are still very active?

I have to confess that I am really a dinosaur, and I HATE change! What I AM learning is that the world doesn't care what I like. It just keeps on evolving anyway! {:-)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
My argument on behalf of check writers is that...... "Nobody has all of the skills necessary!"

I can do more than most, since I started building my own stuff in the mid sixties... and we were all broke young do-it-yourselfers!

One really nice thing is that, if you can afford to hire things done you can stay involved much much longer, as your ambition or health declines.

A few years ago I helped a guy in his late seventies to build a few simple but distinct projects. I helped him into his mid eighties, including a more ambitious joint project he did with his son that, I also painted. He was not just letting me do what I wanted, and he was also a little daring when it was possible to do something unusual.

I eventually took his last car project to a show, because he had to go for dialysis that day. The comments from people were surprising! ...and it was an honor to help!

He died soon after that, but his family showed him pictures of the event, and told him about the show-goer's reactions to his latest effort. I hope I can feel like a part of it to the end too! :-)

Here is his last car...
that's kick arse work there. I see your point of view cause you were dealing with the customer first hand. My situation is different. They always go straight to the old man or the painter as if they are the one giving him a show car. If only they had a clue they'd be thanking me too instead of assuming my hard work makes me a grunt.

All in all, those checkwriters give us an oportunity to do what we love without too many restrictions cause these insurance jobs are nothing to fall in love with.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM

Here is southern NY its seems to be thriving,lots of young guys in old cars too. The damn weather really ruins it,we lost the entire month of March and its been so cold. Now its starting to come around. Its also the reason there is no way you can drive an old car everyday.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

most young people would rather build a civi than an old ford or chevy . it's their world . down here we have young people building old cars but my opinion of them i'll keep to myself .
Old 04-12-2014, 06:25 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

We have a LOT of activity here for the 4-5 months that allows it. The MSRA Back to the Fifties had over 12 THOUSAND registered entries last year. That is '64 and older only !!! The younger people around here are into rat rods. Not my liking but they do get very creative and the crowd is slowly expanding. We also have Car Craft which is mostly the muscle era. They draw in around 6 thousand cars.

Look at Cash advance boise, Advance boise cash check for the state of MN and there are hundreds of car events and many times 3-4 overlapping on the same weekend.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

"TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW" That was my shop maddo on my building 30 years ago

My grandson
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1397370500
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13549245670.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	135754  
Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Streetrodding will never die as long as there are kids that love a different kind of car and willing to do the hard work to get one...if they arnt willingto do the work ....well, thats our fault for not teaching them to work for what you want...I don't go to many shows ,but when I do my favorate part is walking through the parking lot on the way in to the show and seeing the real hotrods that drove there..The painted ladies are cool but its the parking lot that's the real show....
when a kid shows a slight interest in cars and working on them,nurture it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3054.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	135842  
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

It will go the way of the modle A . Todays kids have their tuner cars and have very little interest in streetrods. In 10 years streetrods will be 30 cents to the dollar. Supply and demand .
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I think we tend to forget one thing..when I was 15-16 yrs old the 60's and early 70's muscle cars were very popular so we have a soft spot for them...Today its the tuners that most of the kids are into and they are the new hotrods...they're still cars and the work is the same its just not MY personal choice but everyone has to have something different and if it helps them learn I'm all for it, were running out of old stuff to restore anyways.
It is amazing how much HP they can get out of those ricers...and they do handle good...its not so different...the kids aren't so different than we were ,its us that have changed...now WE are the old farts shrugging our shoulders ,shaking our heads and saying "dumazz kids" ....It don't matter what shape the cars of tomorrow are or even if they are powered by Fission some kids going to be out there trying to make it faster and look a little different...its not the hotrod its the hotrodder that's in us all that survives time...
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

someday kids will put a turbo on the flux capacitor
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

I bought a 38 Plymouth in 1968 a 30 yr. old car at the time and thought it was a realy old and raced at drag strips and on the streets and streetrodded it and went to many shows and rod runs and the cut off to enter a show then was "built before 1948"!!! But I just bought an 82 Trans AM for my wife and it doesn't seem old to me at ALL LOL and its 32 yrs. old LOL 2 yrs older then my Plymouth was when I bought it And still at some shows today there is a 1948 cut off!! Now I wonder why the cut off date never changed at some shows, and why do I feel that the Firebird is a newer car today then the Plymouth was when I bought it 46 yrs ago! Its funny how I feel I feel the same about my 77 Vette to me its not old LOL

Jester

My Cars
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1397401338
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13262552031.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	135874   Click image for larger version

Name:	13716134090.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	135882   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0022.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	135890  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.