Hot Rod Forum banner

Health of the hobby in your area?

5K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
Hi. I just wanted to see if other communities are having the activity level we are.

Tucson is about a million people, and our climate allows for the best activities in the Spring and Fall.

During the Spring and Fall we have about a half dozen large organized shows of a few hundred cars... but almost any day of the year there is 1-6 daily gatherings scattered around the valley.

Of course there are organized shows, but at least half of the events are "cruises" meant for social enjoyment. Those events usually occur in the daytime three quarters of the year... then move to nights during the heat of the Summer.

There is lots of variety too, with some events focused on one make... or a particular era, such a street rods. This community is varied enough to have large contingents in many genres, such as low riders, hot rods, muscle cars, customs, sports cars, etc etc. Throw in a handful of other things, like the local drag strips activities... longer cruises that cover multiple stops within about 50 miles... and fund raisers... promotions for businesses... and you have the makings of a "Motorhead's Paradise"!

I know the trends are always changing, and sometimes it seems the styles and direction change... but that does not seem to lessen the number of people willing to organize events!

What kind of things are happening in your neighborhood that get you excited???

See less See more
#2 ·
We are just 'waking up' from winter (still a bit of snow in my backyard) so not really any way to tell yet this year for NY's Capital District area. There is an on-line listing of a 35 or so mile radius that looks like there are a few new cruise ins and a few new shows. What I did see last year were more folks with newer cars (Mustangs, Camaros, 'vettes) then what I consider street rods or street machines. Cars like my '31 and similar seem to be almost a dying breed locally but I do have to say, they draw more spectators then the rubber stamped newer muscle cars. My thinking is that younger folks just don't have the backyard mechanic's DIY skills any longer. Then there is the cost with a nice build probably exceeding that of a new 'muscle car'. This is our local website - the top is still 2013, but just below that is the 2014 current list: Welcome to Capital Car Shows | CapitalCarShows.com

Dave W

#6 ·
I like restoring the velvet roping trailer queens for what usually are rich retired guys who walk around car shows with their Barrett Jackson shirts being posers but I truly like The Poor Boys rat rod car shows cause you can walk around with beer cans and it's not about who spent the most money on their car. They are really fun. As far as how restoration business is going out here...pretty soon Maaco will be the busiest "resto" shop out here.

#9 ·
Pretty dead here, most speed shops have closed up or switched to selling body kits and lighted shift knobs for the import tuners. Fart cans and fake anodized aluminum tow loops sticking out the back of Hondas seems to be as far as the younger generation will go to make their cars perform. Went into one I used to frequent years ago and instead of a parts wall full of holley kits and jets and chrome its a line up of silicone tubes for imports in various colors.

In the summer on Saturday nights you will see some nice cars cruising owned by my generation but even they are finding it cheaper to just buy a new car like a Porche or Big Three late model muscle car.

Winter takes its toll on old cars so there aren't many left, a few get sold every year in the trader mags and usually go down south where the buyers pay more money for original stuff.

The whole skill set of fabricating is gone with my generation, everything is bought out of a catalog and installed at a dealer...the mom and pop car shops are going fast and closing up as the owner retires.

It was dying 10 years ago, its almost dead now. I'm picking up SBC speed parts brand new in the box from old speed shops for cents on the dollar across the country...I like it!

With performance available from the dealer with warranty off the lot available for less monthly payment than ever, modifying cars in your garage is for suckers...that would be me.:D

I'm teaching my kids so its not lost, but even they would rather play video games than spend a day in the garage...it either takes or it doesn't.

Reactions: richard stewart 3rd
#10 · (Edited)
Its great here :D runs & cruises during week nights 5 or 6 lawn shows to choose from every week end Drag racing at the airport a few times a year and old MOPARS are coming on strong :thumbup: in popularity! The young people seem to be more into new ricers then Muscle cars or rods!!:confused: Don't see the young at shows or cruises any more! Its Still WINTER HERE:mad::pain: a low in the teens tonight but close to 60deg. F. tomorrow :D:thumbup::eek::p:mwink: The Woodward dream cruise the US 27 cruise that lasts a week, the Downriver cruise, and many more!!

Jester:thumbup:

#12 ·
there's not gonna be many restorers out there after the old men leave. I can't believe I made it this far with all the losers, drug addicts, and stubborn old men in this trade. Who wants to go thru all that for what isn't nearly enough pay for the level of skill it takes? The time it takes to get good at this stuff could be put forth to be a fricken doctor for crying out loud. This is good though cause it weeds out the fake. the ones who love it aren't going anywhere.

#13 ·
Your right tech69,:thumbup:
But to build a fun car it doesn't have to be restored , or pretty :thumbup: The restored cars are not fun they are trailered from show to show LOL and the owners are afraid to drive on cruises from fear of a stone chip:eek:or dirt on their tires:mad: And its cheaper to buy a finished car then to restore most of them now and a worker in a shop doesn't get credit for a restoration or show car the shop does (that's too bad because the workers are the back bone of a good shop) LOL Usually a good trained worker branches off on his own and works by himself in his own shop and they restore beautiful cars but you never hear about them!!!:( Because they love what they do and create and don't look for national recognition just good pay for a good job! And good word of mouth in their particular area!! And it would surprise most people to know how many there are around the country!

Shows and cruises are a good time if you enjoy your car and the people whether your cars pretty or not :thumbup: Build em to please yourself and have fun not others or for prestige of a trophy and a person will enjoy the hobby much much more:mwink:

Jester:)

#14 ·
since i am in FL their is something to do everyday if you want. of course we have the cruses & show. one started out with about 30 cars 8 years later it pulls in about 600 or 700 now. but a cool thing we do is called a garage crawl . we pick out like 4 or 5 guys who signed up , then we drive to there house and hang for about a half hour BS a little have a beer and go to the next. some times the block is covered with cars 50 or more.

#15 ·
those posers and check book rodders are the reason this hobby has grown to where it is . without them there would be no improvements or an aftermarket industry . those who build to show are not interested in driving their cars daily. most have another one they drive anyway. show cars are like anything else . it's competition just like racing or any other sport . they enjoy it and it's usually a family thing .
this hobby has gave me a living for over 40 years . i can be as busy as i want to be and usually i am 2 years out . streetrodding will die but the restoration and show car hobby will continue as it is. most see it as an investment . a good collector car holds value extremely well .
the car scene here is shrinking . the larger shows still grow but the pre49 thing is dead .

#18 ·
those posers and check book rodders are the reason this hobby has grown to where it is . without them there would be no improvements or an aftermarket industry
i so agree with shine's comment. i struck up a conversation with a guy over his truck. he said 'i just wrote the check' i replied that that's what keeping the aftermarket alive. not guys like me that are junkyard shopping.

I see one common thread that seems true here also. The hobby is driven by guys who are 50s to 80s. I can see radical change in the "cars-of-choice " is probably coming over the next couple decades. We are seeing more cars like new Challengers and such, as guys become too old to tackle the bigger projects any more.
i do notice that at 56 i am usually the young one in the crown.
blue hairs have the time and since the kids moved out, the money.
i know because i had to wait until the kids moved out to build truk :D

newer cars will never survive 30 years to be classics because of the electronics,
that is unless sema can pass some legislation that will allow aftermarket harness and computers in cars.

#16 ·
I see one common thread that seems true here also. The hobby is driven by guys who are 50s to 80s. I can see radical change in the "cars-of-choice " is probably coming over the next couple decades. We are seeing more cars like new Challengers and such, as guys become too old to tackle the bigger projects any more.

#17 ·
It's pretty solid here in phoenix, though a lot of what you see on the day-to-day is pristine muscle cars, 60's pickups (I'm guilty of this one) and late model pony cars. Personally I'd love to build a nice t-bucket with a 394 or something similar, but I can't deny what I grew up around- My next project is aiming to be a third generation Camaro.

For what it's worth I've never owned import, even as a daily driver. There's some I like, but none that have interested me enough to own. Closest I got to one was a Taurus SHO.

#19 · (Edited)
My argument on behalf of check writers is that...... "Nobody has all of the skills necessary!"

I can do more than most, since I started building my own stuff in the mid sixties... and we were all broke young do-it-yourselfers!

One really nice thing is that, if you can afford to hire things done you can stay involved much much longer, as your ambition or health declines.

A few years ago I helped a guy in his late seventies to build a few simple but distinct projects. I helped him into his mid eighties, including a more ambitious joint project he did with his son that, I also painted. He was not just letting me do what I wanted, and he was also a little daring when it was possible to do something unusual.

I eventually took his last car project to a show, because he had to go for dialysis that day. The comments from people were surprising! ...and it was an honor to help!

He died soon after that, but his family showed him pictures of the event, and told him about the show-goer's reactions to his latest effort. I hope I can feel like a part of it to the end too! :)

Here is his last car...

Attachments

#21 ·
that's kick arse work there. I see your point of view cause you were dealing with the customer first hand. My situation is different. They always go straight to the old man or the painter as if they are the one giving him a show car. If only they had a clue they'd be thanking me too instead of assuming my hard work makes me a grunt.

All in all, those checkwriters give us an oportunity to do what we love without too many restrictions cause these insurance jobs are nothing to fall in love with.

#20 ·
BTW... I'm not trying to hijack my own thread.

I just thought this story fit into the discussion about changing trends, and the age group driving much of the hobby.

Do you know any old-school rod and custom guys who are changing to newer models... (instead of '20s to '60s)... but are still very active?

I have to confess that I am really a dinosaur, and I HATE change! What I AM learning is that the world doesn't care what I like. It just keeps on evolving anyway! {:)

#24 ·
We have a LOT of activity here for the 4-5 months that allows it. The MSRA Back to the Fifties had over 12 THOUSAND registered entries last year. That is '64 and older only !!! The younger people around here are into rat rods. Not my liking but they do get very creative and the crowd is slowly expanding. We also have Car Craft which is mostly the muscle era. They draw in around 6 thousand cars.

Look at Cash advance boise, Advance boise cash check for the state of MN and there are hundreds of car events and many times 3-4 overlapping on the same weekend.

#26 ·
Streetrodding will never die as long as there are kids that love a different kind of car and willing to do the hard work to get one...if they arnt willingto do the work ....well, thats our fault for not teaching them to work for what you want...I don't go to many shows ,but when I do my favorate part is walking through the parking lot on the way in to the show and seeing the real hotrods that drove there..The painted ladies are cool but its the parking lot that's the real show....
when a kid shows a slight interest in cars and working on them,nurture it.

Attachments

#27 ·
It will go the way of the modle A . Todays kids have their tuner cars and have very little interest in streetrods. In 10 years streetrods will be 30 cents to the dollar. Supply and demand .

#28 ·
I think we tend to forget one thing..when I was 15-16 yrs old the 60's and early 70's muscle cars were very popular so we have a soft spot for them...Today its the tuners that most of the kids are into and they are the new hotrods...they're still cars and the work is the same its just not MY personal choice but everyone has to have something different and if it helps them learn I'm all for it, were running out of old stuff to restore anyways.
It is amazing how much HP they can get out of those ricers...and they do handle good...its not so different...the kids aren't so different than we were ,its us that have changed...now WE are the old farts shrugging our shoulders ,shaking our heads and saying "dumazz kids" ....It don't matter what shape the cars of tomorrow are or even if they are powered by Fission some kids going to be out there trying to make it faster and look a little different...its not the hotrod its the hotrodder that's in us all that survives time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.