Heat problems!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heat problems!!

i got a 1979 ford f100. its got heat but it doesnt work very good it doesnt get hot enough!! itll get warm but not hot enough where your almost sweating inside the cab. ive replace thermostat its got enough antifreeze the engine gets plenty warm.. heater core doesnt leak thinking it could be coroded or something though cause it sat in a garage for an assortment of years?? need help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM

The heater in my daily beater only gets p**s warm too, but my heater core is half full of stop leak . I had a 79 ford I remeber that had a vacuum controlled valve in the heater hose that I had to change; you might check for that. I think there were some other vacuum controlled heater controls too. Of course a good flushing wouldn't be a waste of time either way. If you end up having to change heater core it is easier to cut a hole in top of plastic plenum under the hood and take it out that way. Fashion a a cover out of tin and a few metal screws with maybe a little silicone or gasket sealer. I remeber it took me a whole saturday to take it out from under the dash, especially if it has A/C it is next to impossible. I wished someone had suggested that to me before I started in.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check your heater hoses going to the heater core...If one is hot and the other is not, coolant is not getting through.

Or...it could be one of the heater doors is stuck, not allowing heat to the cab
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

heater temp

Have you checked the thermostat, what temperature is it? If you have a low temp, thermostat, and a low pressure rad. cap it want get hot, only feel warn.lol
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

First thing to check is whether your system is completely full. Believe it or not 50% of the time that's the problem.
Here is a list of reasons why your heater dosn't work.
Low coolant
Bad heater valve
No vacuum to open heater valve
Bad thermostat or wrong heat range thermostat
Plugged heater core
Plugged radiator
Plugged inlet or outlet where heater hoses attach to engine/water pump/radiator
Bad water pump
Inop blend door( pull glove box and you should see the attachment arm with a cable attached. pull cable off arm and move door back and forth. Make sure slide selector moves Bowden cable).
Crap in heater case keeping door from working properly.
Bad Karma
Aliens from outer space.

If you remove or replace your heater hoses, ALWAYS slit them and peel them off your heater core. If you twist them off you can damage the heater core.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 PM

the thermostat is a 195, the antifreeze level is good, theres a vacuum controlled thing coming of the water neck to the heater hose not sure if that is good or bad? im thinking something might be in the heater case cause it sat in a garage for 10 years
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Of all the causes of a no heat problem I listed before, a blockage in the heater case is the least likely. If you had a blockage from some critter more than likely you would not be able to slide the temp selecter back and forth completely, when you turned your blower to max crap would come shooting out of what ever position your mode selector and something would stink. Also you probably would not have good airflow out the vents. As someone else pointed out, get your vehical to operating temp put your heater controls to max temp and grab each hose, one in each hand, coming from the heater case. Both hoses should be the same temp. If not you have a restriction in the system some where. Go back to my original post and start working through the list .
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Most likely the core is partially plugged. It is usually an easy fix. We have done several recently as the cold weather is coming.
Remove both heater hoses at the engine side.
Use a blow gun or equivalent to blow air through the core both ways.
Run water through the core both ways.
Use air again.
Usually you will get a bunch of crap out and the air will flow free.
We then usually will dump a can of flush into the core through the disconnected hoses and let it sit for an hour.
Rinse with air and water one more time.
Reconnect the hoses and test.

Using an air gun with a large opening is key to getting good air flow. I have a fitting that would normally screw into an air tool that I wrapped with electrical tape on the threads to build up the size and it works well.
I will caution you, be sure you have a good seal or you will get wet. Make sure the loose hose you are not blowing through is supported somewhere so it is pointing away from you as it will whip when you hit it with pressure. I usually tie wrap it so it is pointing down. It take a few more minutes this way but it can save you a change of clothes.

Chet

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.