Hot Rod Forum banner

Heat shield for alt. radiator fans, batt an others

601 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
While digging around in the a/c junk pile at work I found this sheet metal zinc plated half tube that would be great as a heat shield for my wiring. There are 2 blind threaded holes on the side of a gen 1 sbc block. Sniped out 2 tabs, drilled 1/4 in. holes in them,lined up the drilled holes & riveted the tabs on the tube. I run the alt. & rad fan wiring to the starter solenoid thru the front of the tube. Thru the back I run the big battery wire from the trunk mounted battery & all other wiring the then drops down to the solenoid. Headers don't interfere or touch the tube, header tubes are about 1 1/2 in. away. Much easier to do if the engine is out.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
While it looks very good I'd put the wire in a heat proof loom, the shroud you fashioned may act as a heat sink, if any of the wires are touching it, it'll stay hotter than the ambient air and transfer that heat into the wires insulation.

Looks trick tho'

#3 ·
I did have a shiny sliver fiberglass loom around the wires but it was hard to fashion/use since I had wiring coming into it from both ends plus I had to cut a slit into it to access the solenoid. I almost cut it up an thought about using rivets with washers to hold it inside the tube but didn't do it. It was simple an easy to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.