Heat and sound insulation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heat and sound insulation

I've spent the last 2 hours reading through all the insulation threads I found and I can't seem to find the general consensus as far as what to use.

Scenario. I have BLACK midsize SUV and the AC works like it should but cannot handle the heat of the summer. I live in Texas and it's relatively humid being that I live on the coast. What is the best stuff for the roof/headliner to prevent heat soaking through the cab?

I drive through a lot of wet conditions and the floor/carpet stays somewhat damp/wet. What can I use to sound deaden and prevent heat soak and at the same time be mostly repel water or at least dry up quickly? I've thought about using the "peel and seal" stuff for the floors and firewall or some roll-on bedliner stuff from Wal-Mart.

Would putting a 6" tinted strip on the top portion of the windshield help too?

I'm looking for stuff I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

First of all, nothing will keep the heat from going through your roof on a black car. It may keep it from getting hot as fast, but it can't totally prevent the heat from eventually coming through.

Secondly, if you use Peel&Seal in your climate, prepare to be disappointed. It is a roofing product made of asphalt, and you should be looking for something made of butyl rubber. You also should get something with a higher heat rating.

Lastly, you need to find out where the moisture is getting in and stop it before you do anything to the floors.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 AM

So some type of insulation under the headliner wouldn't help at all? I have removed the carpet from the front and cleaned up the broken clay sound damper. I got to seal/weld up a hole in the roof from the cargo rack. It rusted through so I'll have to figure out how to fix the rust and weld it.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

It would help a little, but not nearly what you are hoping for.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Every little bit helps. I just want my AC to run more effectively than having to fight off the heat soaking through.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

from experience, I had great luck on the cab floor by using rust bullet to really seal it up, that prevents water and humidity coming into the car to begin with. look at the seam sealer, it might be really worn out which you may need to replace or just use the Rust Bullet (or POR-15) over it. Then I went with Fatmat . . . I did a lot of research and I am very happy with it. It really seals well to the Rust Bullet product and even to the metal that's not painted. My AC unit also was leaking a few drops here and there onto the floor, I fixed that as well.

I can tell you that a lot of shops don't seem to do too much with the roof. As mentioned by previous poster, there is not a whole lot you will be able to do. Certainly some sort of product like fatmat, dynamat will help. But that's mostly for sound deadening and provides moderate amount of heat control. It appears that the padding products with aluminum on one side are preferred for heat control. good luck
Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Well, I traced down another leak after the heavy rainfall last night. Windshield is leaking and I have a rust spot and possibly a hole that has developed because of it too... I pulled the carpet and insulation from the front seats which were all soaking wet from the leak.

I'll have to fix those before I can start doing any insulation of any kind.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

A week or so ago it was 96 deg here and I measured the temp of the roof as I was out in the sun at a car show.

163 deg!!! ouch. I knew it was hot. I'm just working on the interior of my car and it was the same inside so the fiberglass simply transfers the heat to the inside. It was one hot ride home let me tell you.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i use lizardskin in all the cars i build. of all i have tried it is the only thing i found to fight heat migration. building products belong in your house, not your car.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM

The factory paint on my '75 pickup has a white cab top and saddle tan for the main part of the body. Since your SUV needs some rust repair on the roof anyway, you might want to look at getting the top painted white like they do on pickups. It may look a little goofy on an SUV, but I'm not sure. I think they may have painted older Suburbans that way.

Bruce

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.