Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Heater in Firebird doesn't work
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtiel43
I've got a 1980 Firebird it has a Chevy 350 swapped into it. The heater in it doesn't do anything at all. It doesn't make any noise when I turn it on. I really just need it for the defroster because it's that time of year. When I press the button for the rear defrost it makes a click sound and the light comes on.

I'm not sure where to begin. Any advice? Maybe a wiring diagram for the heating system? Thanks
The resistor(s) that give low and medium speeds on the fan can burn out, but if put on "High", it should work unless something else is wrong. I'd need a wiring diagram to know for sure if the fan is protected by a fuse or circuit breaker and to know the location, but this needs to be checked.

I'd check for voltage at the fan motor w/the fan switch set to all the speeds. If you have voltage and no motor, the motor is either bad or has problems like worn out brushes. Probably the easiest thing to do if there's voltage but no motor action is just replace the motor.

For the rear defroster, there are 'kits' that supposedly repair any breaks in the conductor strips. I've never used this, but am aware it exists.

http://www.frostfighter.com/catalog.htm