Heater for Garage - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's up 38? Been snowed in? Haven't heard anything out of you in awhile. I would think that the only thing with a kerosene salamander would be the residuals left on the car from burning it. Since it doesn't have a chimney to go up, the carbon, etc, has to go somewhere.

Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 08:44 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Kerosene salamanders are common at the boat yard (big uninsulated buildings to heat). Before painting (we are painting fiberglass or epoxy primer) we usually wipe down thoroughly with mineral spirits or acetone. Necessary anyway because there is always contamination in the air from sanding or something from somebody else's project.

The hot shot boat painter in our yard uses infrared so he has less problems, but he still wipes down... with tack cloth I think...

I would turn the heater off and wipe before I turned the spray gun on.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Thanks PM, I didn't know they still built boats up your way. I was up there 3 yrs ago just for a day trip. Lots I didn't see in the area, including the Maritime museum. Intend to visit up there again some summer.
Kev. Yes I'm snowed in (16 inches I think) and freezing my tail off. I know Weimer got snowed in how about you? I've been tearing my old motorcycle apart and rebuilding/repainting so I can have it back in running condition by spring. But I quit working on it when it got below 0 . I didn't want to fire up the kerosene heater if it was going to cause me additional headaches with the old 38. I'll post pictures of refreshing the bike as I go along at a much later date in case anyone is interested. I think we're supposed to get some warmer temps and start some thawing today.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:48 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:

garage climate control

No one really mentioned an option I was thinking of... a split hvac system. While they cost about $800 and up, they cool and heat... are easy to install and have a good safe method of controlling the temperature. You basically have to put a 3" hole in the wall, hang the blower unit, hook up the copper tubing, get someone to charge the system and plug it in. They come in either 110 or 220 depending on BTU's, have trick thermostat remote controls. The units I've looked at were by Mitsubishi and Sanyo.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My .02 worth, I have a 220v wall mounted unit that hangs on the outside of the wall, it came from a 12'x60' office trailer. It is a combo heater and air conditioner, I use it in my well insulated and drywalled 24x24 garage.
You can set the temp wherever you like, hot or cold.
I do not know how much it cost to operate, but the wife has nevered complained about the power bill.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

garage climate control

That sounds similar to a split system, except it isn't split... with a mobile home/trailer setup, space was important so the less inside the better... sounds like that would work real well.

I need to read up a little more on the split system, I don't recall seeing where there is any air transfer or a dehumidifier drip line. I assume a split system has it since it makes no sense air conditioning humid air.

bill
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM

Last journal entry: More propane stuff
Last photo:

What do you guys back east pay for electric. It is a tad high out here about .10 a kwh. Electric heaters will break ya out here.

The best heater for a shop, in my experience is an infrared gas heater (natural gas is the cheapest then propane). The non vented ones that hang from the ceiling work really well. Most have electronic ignition and come in various sizes from 20,000 up to 100,000+. When I lived in the cold country I had 3-100,000 btu ceiling infrared heaters. You could pull a car in with a foot of snow on it and 30 min later after you squeegeed the lake out it was t-shirt weather. My fathers shop has one of the 20' vented infrared tube type heaters that keeps his 40x60 shop nice and warm. He lives at 7000 feet above sea leval.

I am in the propane business and sell a few heaters now and again most of the people that I deal with love the infrared heaters.

John
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

billg, My entire system is outside of the garage, there are two openings I framed when I built the garage, one is for the supply air the other is for the return air.
The unit is roughly 1'-4" x 3'-4" x 5' it is self contained as one unit.
When using the air, the unit pulls the air out of the garage cools it and in doing so it removes the moisture from the air being returned. The condensation drains outside from a hose in the unit.

It works great for me, I would have preferred a natural gas setup but this was free, I got air in the deal and I didn't have to run 100' of underground gas line.

Elec. cost here is .082 kwh ( I may be better off not knowing the cost to run it.)
Old 12-31-2004, 02:49 AM

Last photo:

My shop is 15X20 with 10' cealing. Insulated with 2" styrofoam. For quick heat I have a propane heater will get it up to 100 real quick. When I'm planning on painting I have 2 oil filled electric heaters that will keep it around 72 with exhaust fan going. Think you can see them in pic .

Old 12-31-2004, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

garage climate control

Down here in South Georgia the kw/hr rate is 0.068 cents. (December I used 1161 kwh or $78.98. June on the other hand was 0.089 cents per kwh with a bill of $116 for 1,298 kwh.

While the winters are mild my intentions are to be able to work on quiet projects at all hours and in the summer the humidity is somewhat a pain, unless you like the burn of sweat in your eyes from just being in it, much less actually doing anything.

I'm adding on to my original 20x20 garage by going back into the yard with a 20 x 20 extension... 20 x 40 when finished. Apart from the growing list of auto tools, I already have a full wood shop which makes it like a fire drill just to start something.

Attached is a my current set up... minus any vehicles. So when I want to work on anything I tend to have to corral a bunch of tools into a corner, roll the 48 stepside out, move the riding mower, then break for lunch!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopwidefs.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	3489  
Old 12-31-2004, 07:52 AM

Be cautious with a salamander style reddy heater. They give off carbon monoxide. Check out the website. You need to have a window or door open so the fumes can escape. I am using a kerosene heater and wish I had more.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Too many hobbies!

Last photo:

L.B.White, propane heaters. The most excellent small heaters I've ever used/seen.
Used for everything from construciton heaters, to poultry/swine confinement units.
They put out a whole lot of heat, from such a compact size.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I don't have a clue what electric costs here. From the amount of lights left on here all of the time, I am guessing it must be free, or darn close to it. LOL

I have used a kerosene heater, the tall round type that are sold everywhere, in the past. They seem to put out so much soot. I found that the ceiling in my garage was turning black from it. I went to the salamander type and didn't have the soot problem, just the fumes, if it was running alot.

At my age, working as a body tech, my body is worn out at the end of a work day. I seldom get out in the garage during the week. This year, I am trying to keep things above freezing, and warm enough that I can go out there, if I feel like it, using the electric heaters. I guess I'll find out what the electric costs me. I figure that with several hundred dollars worth of paint and materials that can't be frozen, it can't cost me that much to heat it. My wife complained last year when I brought it all inside the house for the winter.

It doesn't take near as long to bring the temp up from 50/55 to 70 when I want to work. By the time I have figured out what it was that I went out there to do, it is warm enough to do it. LOL
Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 AM

They do put out a lot of heat, but in a closed space such as a garage, they can be dangerous without circulation from outside air.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Lots of good information going on in this thread, thought I might throw in my 2 cents worth. I have about 1500 square feet to heat and use a propane furnace out of a travel trailer. 120v and I run it off a 5 gallon bottle, works great and is pretty economical. If you had natural gas that would be even better but for a small garage I sugjest the propane radiant heaters that mount on a 5 gallon bottle. You place the unit right where you are working and the double head type can use one or both depending on how much heat you want. Have a spare bottle and you will always be prepared for when you run out of gas in the middle of a job. The heads are pretty cheap and bottles are about $20 apiece new. Good luck. Gaylen

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.