heater hose routing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

heater hose routing

84 gmc 2wd pickup, 86 383 stroker. Do the heater hoses hook to the radiator at all or do they run from the pump through the core back to the top of the intake manifold. There is a nipple on the radiator but I dont know what it is for. I have my hoses routed like this. From the top of the intake manifold throught the core and back to the nipple on the side of the radiator near the top. This doesnt seem right because It seems like the thermostat is being bypassed some what. The heater works fine, almost too good. And the engine temp alaways is real low at the 1/4 mark on the gauge. I think I need to reroute the hoses,so the engine temp comes up to make it run better. I heard that if a motor runs too cool that can mess with performance just like a motor too hot can hurt it. Thanks TJ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

G'day task65,

Normally heater hose outlet is at the manifold near the thermostat, and return back into the water pump somewhere near the bottom radiator hose.

If your setup has the return hose joining the top radiator hose, that would work also, and probably better than the above setup IMO. Yes it would bypass some of the hot water/coolant which may not be an issue. Just depends how hot your ambient temperature in summertime is, which may cause an issue. The fact that your current setup takes water/coolant from the inlet manifold and puts it back into the top radiator hose is just the same as if there were no bypass through the heater core. With your current setup you would be putting back somewhat colder water/coolant than would ordinarily be flowing direct from the inlet manifold through the top radiator hose and radiator.

As far as your gauge reading only a 1/4, my suggestion is to buy an accessory mechanical temp gauge and fit that for accurate readings. Or check the radiator water/coolant temp directly with the radiator cap off (naturally cap removed very carefully to avoid burns) with a stick thermometer. Ideal temperatures are arround 160-190F, depending on smog equipment. Anything less than about 140F should be avoided as it is commonly thought to increase engine wear on the bores particularly and excess sludge buildup throughout the motor.

If temps are low, what you could do is place a restrictor in the heater hose to reduce flow through it. This will reduce the amount of hot water/coolant flowing to your heater. You can also fit a ball valve in the heater hose line at a convenient spot, which can be manually opened and closed or partially closed for some temp. variation.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers............Barry.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 AM

My '75 GMC has the heater hose routed back to a fitting on the radiator, and that is the stock setup. I have also seen GM heater hoses routed to the water pump, but I have a plugged fitting on top of the water pump.

The 1/4 scale reading may be okay. I have the stock sender and gauge, and also a mechanical sending unit in the intake manifold. At 200 degrees on the mechanical, the stock electrical gauge is just hitting 1/4 scale. I have also verified the 200 degree reading with an infrared thermometer on the thermostat housing. In moderately hot weather, my SBC stabilizes at about 200, using a 195 degree thermostat, and I think that is where i want it.

Bruce
Old 09-18-2011, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Does your Truck still have the Heater Control Valve> http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=161462 these block water flow thru the Core.
Many Truck with A/C or HD cooling route the return back to the Rad tank.
My 71 Cheyenne w/AC & 4-core Rad does. Has a Vac operated Shutoff valve.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

which is better? from the water pump to the heater core back to the radiator? or from the intake to the heater core back to the radiator?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
which is better? from the water pump to the heater core back to the radiator? or from the intake to the heater core back to the radiator?
The Ports on the Water Pump are Intake ports.
So from Intake Manifold to Heater Core & return/back to the Radiator or Water Pump is correct.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.