Hot Rod Forum banner

Heater not working?

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kc8oye 
#1 ·
My 68 chevelle sat for two years during it restoration, and now it is running but the heater is not working, where do u think I should begin to look? Maybe start with checking the fuses or electrical? Not sure where to begin to look, anyone have this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
chevyrally68 said:
My 68 chevelle sat for two years during it restoration, and now it is running but the heater is not working, where do u think I should begin to look? Maybe start with checking the fuses or electrical? Not sure where to begin to look, anyone have this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.
Do you feel any heat at all and is the blower not working or working but still no heat ?

Cole

#7 ·
heater vaccum

hey just read some threads about a vaccum canister on the p****enger side firewall, I did have a vaccum canister mounted there before i remove it during engine removal, and did not put it back on. Maybe this is the problem I am having with my heater not operating. Is this right? I always wondered what this canister was for, could this be the problem. Does the heater need this vaccum canister to initialize operation?

#8 ·
ok, first of all, I'm ASSuming the 68 chevelle is similar to the 70-72 monte since they're virtually brothers.

Is your chevelle Non-Air or an A/C car? doesn't matter what it has now.. what did it leave the factory with?

on a monte, (And therefore I believe a chevelle) a NON-air car has the blower resistors mounted in the air box under the dash.

on an a/c car, they're under the hood.

if you have no speeds at all, I would suspect a blown fuse, or a bad motor.

an air car has a high speed relay out under the hood.. does it click when you get to high speed?

#11 · (Edited)
by the way.. the easiest way to get to the blower motor is to remove the outer fender...

it's possible to do it w/o removing the fender.. but you had better be a contortionist!!!

this is a picture of what you are dealing with.. but w/o all the sheetmetal in the way.. yes, this is my monte carlo, but from the firewall back it's basicly just a fancy chevelle ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/Engine/DSC00219.JPG

#14 ·
I don't know if the '68's were wired like the later vehicles, but on the newer ones an A/C equipped car has a separate high speed blower fuse and a relay mounted under the hood. The 30 amp fuse is inline in a wire running across the firewall, and the relay is mounted next to the blower motor resistors.

If you power up that high speed blower relay by putting 12 volts on the low side, and the 30 amp fuse that feeds the high amp side is good, you can get the blower to run on high even if the dash switch is bad.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.