heaters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

heaters

I am having heater problems. The heater itself seems to be o.k., but the air coming out is not warm enough. It is a 350sbc with a 180 stat and the engine runs about that temp. What temp should the outcoming heater air be?Any ideas? Bowtie52

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 PM

It would help a lot to know the vehicle. Some use a valve in the water line to turn the heater on, but most now just use a blend door to adjust heated/cold air. In most cases where there is not enough heat the blend door is not moving enough to seal and make sure all the air goes through the heater core.

Bruce
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

A good idea is pull the heater box and check for trash in the box. I replaced mine in my truck and found everything including pencils, cigaretts, paper. gum wrappers, and so on. Also, the replacement cores from auto zone that are made in mexico are crap! Their half as thick as original. It might just need a good flushing. You can remove both hoses and squirt water in both fittings with a garden nozzle and watch the crud come out. Stuff builds up in the core just like a radiator but worse because it only get's flow in the winter time.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If everything in the system is OK, heater core not restricted, temp control lever functioning properly, etc. You might try a different thermostat, I have found that a 180 stat in my Dakota does not produce very warm heat, it does much better with a 195
Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

You might get a manual radiator thermometer and check to make sure the radiator is actually getting hot. Then you can check the hoses going into the heater core. Both hoses should be the same temp. If the going-in hose is hot and the coming-out hose is cold, the core is probably stopped up.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

Make sure the heater core fills up from the bottom. If it fills up from the top the core will never actually get full because the coolant will run out of the core too quickly. If the heater hoses have been switched, that might be your problem.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

The hose that connect's to the top fitting (larger fitting 3/4") of the heater core, comes from the intake. The hose that connect's to the bottom fitting on the core (smaller 5/8") goes to the water pump.
The direction of flow is out of the intake, into the top of the core and back to the water pump out of the bottom of the core. being that the fittings and the hoses are two different sizes, it's pretty hard to get them crossed up. I believe that the coolant will travel through the core just as fast in either direction being the flow rate is governed by water pump pressure. The heater works like a giant bypass system before the thermostat opens, and any air that might be in the core will be sucked out by the water pump. The heater core works on the same basis as the radiator in front of your engine. The thicker the core, the more efficient it is. I changed the core in my truck last winter and the replacement I put in was like a one core radiator compared to the one I replaced that was like a 2 or 3 core. The new one doesn't put out as much warm air as the old one (lesson learned).

Last edited by sqzbox; 10-31-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:57 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

burp it

On some vehilces you can have air trapped in the heater. sometimes you have to loosen the top hose , slide it back, drill a small hole to let the air out..start the engine and when fluid comes out slide the hose over the hole and tighten the clamp. most cars were pressure filled at the factory. first a vacuum then pressure filled . a lot of vehicles have the heater higher than the radiator cap. I had a ford truck that I had to fill the over flow bottle with antifreeze, get the engine hot to burp out air then spray cold water on the radiator. and it would suck the fluid from the overflow back into the system. repeat a few times to get it full with no air.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

optional hd heater.

Years ago you could order your truck with a heavy duty heater, larger core and usually the package included engine block heaters, A small core in cold country is not very comfortable. 40 degrees below around here a lot of times.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

read edit post #7
Old 10-31-2009, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

It was just an idea. I have had that problem before, hoses switched around. Everything I have has the same size heater hoses for both the inlet and outlet. The only other thing i could think of would be a valve that shuts off the flow of coolant through the heater core when the heater is off. Some vehicles have them some don't. Either that or a clog somewhere, perhaps the core itself. Take the hoses off and flush it backwards with a water hose.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I would check the core probably the problem and change the thermostat to 195. JMO.....Cole

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.