Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Heating a cinderblock garage
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Workingclass...if you care about such things, your homeowners part of the policy regarding the garage will be VOID if heated with a woodstove and used for automobiles of any kind should something bad occur. Since you live in a suburban area, I assume your house is nat'l gas. I ran 150' of gas line and fittings to hook up my overhead unit heater in the barn. All in the heater, fittings and Tstat cost me less that $300. I bought a 175,000 BTU unit heater for $100, the rest was trencher rental and supplies. I'm certain you wont have that much problem since I'd bet your garage is pretty close to the house. One gasoline leak can ruin you whole day! FUMES LAY ON THE FLOOR. BE CAUTIOUS OF WHAT YOU USE FOR A FURNACE. That's the reason I prefer to have a hanging furnace. Some UL safe units are available for such uses. If cost is the primary issue, don't forget the cost of your largest investment. At home decades ago we installed one in a 32x22 garage and it still works very well. Anyone in the heating and cooling biz can help you "certify" a decent furnace installation to keep your policies in effect. Good luck with your choices, just some things to think about.