Heating Shop For Painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heating Shop For Painting

HEY GUYS, HAPPY NEW YEAR. I been trying to spray my truck but getting my shop up to temp. has been a problem here lately. I'M getting ready to spray some clear and was wondering if any of you guys have ever used a kerosine heater in your shop before? I have not fired it up yet because I was afraid there may be some contamination from it but I was not sure. does anybody know if it is safe or not?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I've used a Diesel in my shop heater for many years. I have several heaters that will use Diesel or Kerosene. They are like little jet engines, noisy, but very efficient. Never had any trouble with comtamination. I turn the heaters off during the painting period and turn them back on afterwards to re heat the paint booth. One heater will heat the paint booth well over 70 degree easily.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

I used a readyheater brand kero heater once and it was a nightmare. After the shop was warm I sprayed a white single stage urethane on a work van and it had major fisheye's all over every flat panel where the kero fumes landed.
Next day I boxed the heater back up and took it back to homedepot. I paid $500 for it

You could always do what I did. Merry a girl with a father that owns a heating and air business Ive got year round a/c and heat.
He installed a heat pump type unit with a gas furnace. Works perfect! My garage is 24x31x10 and on 30* days it will heat the garage to 70* in about 1-2 hours. I just start it before I go out to work to save money, It could stay on 100%.

If your interested in something like this I would call around to your smaller heating and air businesses and tell them your looking for a used unit. Most places have a few units around that they pulled from houses that have upgraded or changed over. And since they have no money in the equipment you can get a good deal.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

We use a torpedo pointed right in the booth after mist is gone and jezz its cold up here in michigan -5 now!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKBULLITT
We use a torpedo pointed right in the booth after mist is gone and jezz its cold up here in michigan -5 now!
-15 here in MN, my natural gas heater is struggling to stay above 60, usually I can hit 100 on a 45 degree day.

I would recommend a natural gas heater for the garage (or propane works too), since you live in the south you shouldn't need anything too big.

I spent a total of $200 for mine($150 for the heater used, $50 in gas line and a cheap thermostat)

I highly recommend a heater that vents outside, and if possible get one that sucks fresh air from outside too.
That way you can insulate your garage air tight and not have to worry about back pressure sucking CO2 from the pipe into your garage.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

See if a local high school or community college would let you use their paint booth. A lot of times during particular times of the day the booth goes unused, and you might be able to use it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.