heavy duty suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

heavy duty suspension

what would be a good cheap heavy duty suspension for a 1976 camaro?
it has leaf springs so could leaf springs out of a chevy 1500 work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 AM

Last photo:

I guess it depends on how heavy duty you want it, why dont you just have a spring outfit add another leaf to the rear spring pack. They could tell you exactly what rate leaf to add for the desired effect.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

leafs out of one of those "gun trucks" used in 'nam would be heavy duty enough for any civilian application within residential/commercial use. Expect the weight of your camaro to double. Pretty sweet war machines, check em out here gun trucks

Okay, honestly, either find a spring shop and tell them what you want, or visit the local speed shop. Most people like summit, but I like the crazy old man behind the counter at the place I go to. Plus he gives me little random discounts every so often.
-Matt

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 01-11-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 AM

Last photo:

how much does taking them to a spring place cost on average?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

As the other guys stated, It would be best to go to a spring shop in your area. Most major cities have at least one.
Tell them what you need done and ask for recomendations and go from there.

Now for the question: exactly what are you attempting to do that requires heavy duty springs? I am not trying to be funny but it helps in getting a proper answer if you give a bit more info.

The normal reasons are usually that it sits too low in the back, the big tires won't clear, It bottoms out when hauling passengers in the back seat, I need to tow a trailer and such.

If you are attempting to control wheel hop at the drag strip a different approach may be needed.

One more point, springs are usually built to fit one application. The rear springs for the Model Camaro that you have will probably only fit that body style of Camaro in the particular Generation of Camaros that it came from and possibly the same year Firebirds. The springs off C-10's are only going to fit C-10's . True One can move brackets, weld on different brackets and the like to make springs fit but the results are usually less than desireable.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

That's a fairly popular car. Aftermarket springs are readily available for it. Avoid anything from JCWhitney. Contact Mike Eaton at Eaton Detroit Spring for his input and a price for OEM replacements. He might be higher, but they are quality products.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

i remember awhile ago reading something on here about what dodge did to stiffen their leaf springs on cars from the 60s
i think it was flip a few of the leaves around
im running larger tires on the back but plan on going with an ever larger tire once i find some for the right price(cheap) and i want the back end to sit up higher and be stiffer(31 yr old springs dont work as well as they use to)
anyway its got a 454 with a 4spd(dunno what kind)didnt care it was free(the great thing about knowing people who own junk yards)but i wanted to know about springs because i soon plan to swap the axle it has a stock 10 bolt rear and im unsure if i should go for a 12 bolt or a ford 9in rear
Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Why don't you just put a set of air shocks on. That's what we used to do in the old days. They're cheaper and you can adjust them to clear just about any tire size.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53belair
i remember awhile ago reading something on here about what dodge did to stiffen their leaf springs on cars from the 60s
i think it was flip a few of the leaves around
im running larger tires on the back but plan on going with an ever larger tire once i find some for the right price(cheap) and i want the back end to sit up higher and be stiffer(31 yr old springs dont work as well as they use to)
anyway its got a 454 with a 4spd(dunno what kind)didnt care it was free(the great thing about knowing people who own junk yards)but i wanted to know about springs because i soon plan to swap the axle it has a stock 10 bolt rear and im unsure if i should go for a 12 bolt or a ford 9in rear

1967 Nova leaf springs post # 18

Flipping the leaves will not raise the rear of the car. The rear of the leaves gets softer to maintain ride/ ride height. It even be a tad lower with weight in the back seat.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

Why do guys want to do things that didn't really work right on the cars "back then" and wern't always that good looking or safe.
The main thing is that when you lift the back end of those cars high enough to stick BIG tires under them you tend to loose any handeling that you may have had with the car when it sat at it's normal height.
That and as one of the guys mentioned above if you do it wrong the springs tend to collapse rather quickly.

Detroit Eaton Spring company or one of the local shops can build you a set of springs that bolt in and will give you a couple of inches of lift over stock. It will ride like a lumber wagon but it will have the raised in the rear just like the 70's look.

It's all about different strokes for different folks so if that is what you want go for it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Chopt 48]when you lift the back end of those cars high enough to stick BIG tires under them you tend to loose any handling that you may have had with the car when it sat at it's normal height.QUOTE]

who's need handling when ill be driving in a straight line most of the time
Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

ok, that changes things. Old toot that I am, I build my rigs to be reachers that can burn up the miles on the highway in relative comfort and safety.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Their suspension design is not quite as crappy as a 67 Nova...... so.....

Who cares if it wanders around the track at 100 mph with the front end light from acceleration and catching air?

"Damn the safety, full speed ahead."
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

does anyone have a picture of the dodge super stock springs?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53belair
does anyone have a picture of the dodge super stock springs?

1st on google "super stock springs"

http://gearsandrears.com/springs.html

from summit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=dcc-3690457
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super stock springs2 large.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	17720  

Last edited by xntrik; 01-15-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.