Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Are Hedman Elites "quieter" headers? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hedman-elites-quieter-headers-223866.html)

Saito 09-10-2012 04:13 PM

Are Hedman Elites "quieter" headers?

I'm running some cheap no-name headers on a small block chevy and they seem very "tinny". You can really hear the tss-tss-tss of the exhaust gasses rushing into those thin tubes. I know that this is common to a degree with headers in general. Are Hedman Elites any quieter? They are a heavy 14 gauge (cheap headers seem to be about 18 gauge) have thick flanges and are coated. Would any of that help to soften the header noise?

OneMoreTime 09-10-2012 05:41 PM

yes the heavier gauge headers can help..the question is how much..you can try some header wrap on your existing headers as well..Dunno what your expectations are though..

Sam

Saito 09-10-2012 07:05 PM

I know they'll never be as quiet as iron exhaust manifolds. I wondered if wrap might help but was worried about all the horror stories of wrap killing headers quickly through rust and metal fatigue.

lakeroadster 09-10-2012 08:55 PM

Louder mufflers will help to minimize this problem. ;)

Sounds like a smart ***** answer, but I have used a variety of different headers on cars and trucks since the mid 70's and have never heard what you are describing?

spinn 09-10-2012 10:45 PM

Hooker , heddman , summit long tube headers all sound the same to me. Difference is usually the fit.

TimoFinn 09-11-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saito (Post 1589634)
I'm running some cheap no-name headers on a small block chevy and they seem very "tinny". You can really hear the tss-tss-tss of the exhaust gasses rushing into those thin tubes. I know that this is common to a degree with headers in general. Are Hedman Elites any quieter? They are a heavy 14 gauge (cheap headers seem to be about 18 gauge) have thick flanges and are coated. Would any of that help to soften the header noise?

I had Hedman Elite headers in my Nova and they were much better and quieter than crappy cheap headers that i removed.
Elites have thick tubes, thick flanges and ball socket collectors.
Fitment was perfect, no hammering needed.I can recommend those headers.:)

Saito 09-11-2012 03:23 AM

Thanks. Glad the Elites sound better. Actually, I went to a quieter exhaust for my little one and that's when the noise became most noticable. I used to always run Dynomax headers (which I don't think are available now) and I don't remember the noise being this loud. It was there, all headers do it to a degree (only manifolds totally kill it) but not so bad.