Heelllllllppppppp 383 stroker Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 PM
busted knuckler

Wiki Edits: 0

Heelllllllppppppp 383 stroker Question

Hello Ya'all,

It's been a rough year. Last year took a vacation to Hawaii, nice place. But we were warned not to bring back any volcanic rocks which also include the black sand from the black sandy beaches. The little woman and her accomplice the little 6 yr old princess decides that the bad luck thing on bringing back volcanic black sand is just a tale and unbeknown to me they bring back a water bottle of the stuff. If you go there don't bring any of the stuff back. We mailed it back to the local postmaster in the village we stayed in on the big island about a month ago and it is still working on us. Before I ask my engine damage question and how it came about let me tell you what has transpired this year with the bad luck. First thing in January my father who had a successful surgery for lung cancer passes away because of a infection after the fact, he was actually recovering and then his health went down the tubes, gone in three weeks. We have had no less than 5 auto accidents this year. 3 for my son one for my wife and one for me when some 17 yr old kid backs into my new truck, 900.00 bucks for a new bumper. My son gets hit by another kid (16) on the way to school and totals my 95 Chevy 1/2 ton, Z71, 4WD, custom ext/cab, yup you guessed it cherry condition with only 50,000 original miles. My son gets a moving violation, improper lane changes without using the turn signal late at night no other vehicles on the road. The 1973 Chevy Nova, fun car to experience a little bonding time with the boy as well as to teach the him some mechanics has wound up with the following problem. Hence my engine question. the vehicle a 1973 Chevy Nova, 383 stroker engine, has this going on. Rear valve seal guides cracked, put the vehicle in buddies shop for a valve job, vehicle comes back to me with a 2100.00 bill. Pick up the car that night, boy heads out to see his new squeeze too far away at 3.00 dollars a gallon and 8 miles to the gallon on average in the Nova. Engine dies can't get it started. I figure no big thing. I'm not driving 50 miles or so at 11:00 at night, cause its past my bedtime and the young folks are out there driving and I don't care to venture out. I have the car toed home, about 175.00 bucks. I check the distributor the next day or so, yup you guessed it the shop did not tighten down the dist bolt timing goes out left the kid stranded along with his new squeeze ( they are no longer dating now ). I re-adjust the timing and make some adjustments to the carb as it is idling a little high around 1400 RPM, Now she is sounding good at about 500 RPM with the nice lobe of the cam and a nice little earth rumbling sound at idle. That was about 8 weeks ago. Since then I picked up two Chinese street bikes, 250 CC, and at about half the price of anything else out there, look good and ride good at 75 miles at the gallon and a CVT tranny ( one for him and me ). This week the boy says to me dad I was driving the Nova the other day and it is making a real loud clacking sound. If I was to describe it, it is a sound akin to a kid hitting a heavy aluminum pot with a wooden spoon or something, you get the idea. So I open the hood listen to it, yup it sounds like a little kid hiding in the engine compartment on the right bank of the engine. So I sez to myself, self lets pull the valve covers off and take a look. I pull off the valve cover on the right bank and guess what to my surprise I find. On my valve job, performed by my buddy at his auto repair shop along with a 2100.00 dollar price tag. Loose rocker arms, which appears to me that like the dist bolt mentioned above, were probably not tightened down and probably not torqued to specifications. But the worst of it is not only are two the the rocker arms not even in proper position but totally off at an angle from the valve and push rods, yup you guessed it, I am now missing a push rod which I am sure was in position when I picked the vehicle up from the shop. Does anyone out there have any idea where the push rod is at. I suspect that it is the missing push rod that is responsible for the sound akin to a kid beating on the aluminum pot with a wooden spoon. Does anyone out there have an educated or better yet an experienced guess as to what potential damage has occurred in the crank case if any at all? And besides giving my friend at the auto shop a little grief over this. Is this something as simple has pulling off the intake manifold, removing the lost push rod and replacing it, or should I plan on taking out a second on the house to replace the engine? Help and Thank you for your responses humorous and/ or technical.

Advertisement

Last edited by MCSEllis; 10-07-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

Bad luck...

Sorry to hear of all your bad luck. That Hawaiian mojo is for real, howley.

Which pushrod is missing? Intake or exhaust? Lots of possible noise sources. Likely you will find the pushrod sitting in the lifter valley happily, but I personally would not run the engine again with either 1) pulling that head & visually inspecting the valves & bores & piston tops, or 2) scoping through the spark plug hole to accomplish the same thing. For the cost of a set of head gaskets, I think the right answer is to pull the head & inspect completely, in addition to checking out the lifter valley.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here..

That was probably a Very informative post..with lots of Q and symptoms involved in it...

But ... It's one BIG long sentence That I didn't read..and I sure others won't either..simply because it overwhelms you..and gives me a headache..

Try and go back and edit the post..put in paragraphs, (please) and periods, commas, Ect..and leave spaces between long paragraphs..That will help tremendously..And More folks will read it..and WE CAN help you better..

Even if someone reads it, about half the information is lost in "The Work" involved in reading the post..so we can't help you to your best benefit..

Not Raggin on you, or trying to be a grammar teacher..just trying to help you help yourself! with the very best answers you can get.

Doc
Old 10-08-2006, 05:40 AM
busted knuckler

383 chevy stroker woes

Iíve got a 1973 Chevy Nova, a fun car to experience a little bonding time with the boy as well as to teach him some mechanics has wound up with the following problem. The engine is a built 383 stroker engine (chevy 350 block) I didnít do the rebuild, I bought the car from a consignment place (Gatewayclassiccars.com located in the St. Louis MO metro area).

I didnít have the car very long when I noticed it was going thru oil at about the rate of a quart every 500 miles. I had a buddy of mine who has his own auto repair shop check out the engine, only to find out that the rear valve seal guides were cracked.

I put the vehicle in my buddies shop for a valve job, vehicle comes back to me with a 2100.00 bill. On the evening that I picked up the car my boy heads out to see his new squeeze who lives too far away at 3.00 dollars a gallon and I figure some where around 8 miles to the gallon on average.

He phoned me to tell me that engine dies and he can't get it started. I figure no big thing. I'm not driving 50 miles or so at 11:00 at night, cause its past my bedtime and the young folks are out there driving and I don't care to venture out. I have the car towed home, about 175.00 bucks.

I checked the distributor the next day or so, yup you guessed it the shop did not tighten down the dist holding bolt and the timing slips out and left the kid stranded along with his new squeeze ( they are no longer dating now ).

I re-adjust the timing and make some adjustments to the carb ( 650 Holley on a Edelbrock intake manifold) as it is idling a little high around 1400 RPM. Afterwards she is sounding good at about 500 RPM with the lobe of the cam and a nice little earth rumbling sound at idle. That was about 8 weeks ago.

This week the boy says to me dad I was driving the Nova the other day and it is making a real loud clacking sound. If I was to describe it, it is a sound akin to a kid hitting a heavy aluminum pot with a wooden spoon or something (very rapidly), you get the idea.

So I open the hood listen to it, yup it sounds like a little kid hiding in the engine compartment on the right bank of the engine. I pull off the valve cover on the right bank and to my surprise I find some very loose rocker arms, which appears to me that like the dist bolt mentioned above, were probably not tightened down and probably not torqued to specifications.

But the worst of it is not only are two of the rocker arms not even in proper position but totally off at an angle from the valve and push rods, yup you guessed it, I am now missing a push rod which I am sure was in position when I picked the vehicle up from the shop about 10 weeks ago.

I suspect that the missing push rod is responsible for the sound akin to a kid beating on the aluminum pot with a wooden spoon.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what potential damage has occurred in the crank case if any at all?

Is this something as simple has pulling off the intake manifold, removing the lost push rod and replacing it?

Help and Thank you for your responses humorous and/ or technical.

Last edited by MCSEllis; 10-08-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 AM
busted knuckler

383 Stroker problem

Thanx Doc and Derm for the quick feed back. Doc you make a good point and it is well taken. I'll be sure to not be so lengthy on future bulletin post. And to be better about run on sentences and punctuation. I should have paid more attention in english class back in my school days, Ha!

Derm to answer your question the push rod is missing on the number 5 cyl intake valve. The third rocker from the end of the head near the drivers side. I assume that it is the intake valve.

I think at this point I'll give my buddy a call at his shop and explain the situation to him as I believe the valve job performed at his shop is under warranty for 90 days.

I also think that if I proceed any further as to removing the intake manifold for a look see I'll probably negate the warranty at the auto shop.

I'll keep the site posted as to the outcome of this whole thing.

Last edited by MCSEllis; 10-08-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:42 PM
busted knuckler

383 stroker push rod in crank case

thanx to the suggestion of Craig at craig@2fastnovas.com I was able or rather my son was able to fish out the missing pushrod from the crank case without having to remove the intake manifold. I picked up a magnet with a bendable probing rod from the local hardware store and my boy fished it out of the crank case, albeit bent and in two pieces.

upon further examination of the newly redone heads with less than 500 miles on them I found that the machine shop did not replace all of the rocker arm bushings with nearly all lof the really lose rocker arms o the odd side having worn bushings on them. The head and rocker arms on the even bank look fine.
l
More to come as time goes on, will keep my findings poster

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.