HEI coil voltage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI coil voltage

How much additional voltage can a stock HEI handle from an aftermarket high voltage coil? I've got a 65,000v coil but was wondering if it would be too much for it. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

It doesn't matter. As long as you have a decent cap and wires. The internals of the HEI only care about the primary voltage and resistance not the secondary voltage.

Chet
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Stock cap and pro comp 10.2mm spiral wires. Guess I'll give it a shot next weekend. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM

buzz

Good to here someone working with a 318. I love Mopar. I do know one thing about the H.E.I. . They are power hungry. That stock wire my 72 Chevy Pick-up was too small. I put a 12gage wire to the B+. You will find guys tying an electric choke into this primary wire too. The buzz noise is puzzling though. What comes to my mind right off is there is too much load on it, but why at idle only. You don't have a ballast resister in the circuit somewhere do you.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

The two questions you need to ask are one, how does the 65KV coil produce the higher voltage, and two, how much more heat will it produce? Heat is the enemy of all electronic components and remember the HEI lives by a small internally mounted electronic module.

A quick answer to both questions is that the higher voltage coil produces higher voltage by reducing the primary coil winding count and increasing the secondary winding count. Reducing the primary windings raises primary current load. The little HEI module has to take this load. The higher ratio of primary to secondary windings also increases the inductive "kick back" through the primary circuit as the coil fires. These factors weight heavy on the life expectancy of the module. The higher primary current and the higher KV output also creates alot more heat which further decreases the life of the module.

Companies like DUI that produce high output HEIs take these factors into account and use components that are better suited to the task. I have seen too many failed HEI modules where a high output coil was added to ever recommend it. I guess if you use the vehicle only for drag racing and trailer it to the track, that's one thing. But if you want reliability, think twice about running the 65KV coil in your stock HEI.

An externally mounted coil helps remove some of the heat load but the only sure way to run high KV and keep it reliable is an add on module like the MSD. The add on module takes the heavy current load off the little HEI module and you can run all the coil you want. The new digital add ons are best for this.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.