HEI Conversion Wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Conversion Wiring

I'm attempting to do an HEI conversion and am having trouble understanding the other threads on here. I'm using a 73 Nova wiring harness that had a pertronix ignition installed on the original 6 cyl. The other threads mention a ballast resistor, but I can't find one. At least not one that looks like others I've seen. The closest thing I see is what looks like a relay that was mounted on the firewall above the fuse box in the engine compartment. It has a stud with 3 wires attached. A heavy gauge red wire that looks to have been piggy backed to run to the alternator and starter. An orange wire that runs to the alternator also. Finally a black wire that runs into the fuse box. There is also a separate plastic terminal mounted on the relay with a green and a black wire that run into the fuse box. I also still have the (+) wire that ran to the coil. I understand that only one wire needs to go to the BATT terminal on the distributor, but which one is it? Please don't get too technical, I'm just a novice. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad88
I'm attempting to do an HEI conversion and am having trouble understanding the other threads on here. I'm using a 73 Nova wiring harness that had a pertronix ignition installed on the original 6 cyl. The other threads mention a ballast resistor, but I can't find one. At least not one that looks like others I've seen. The closest thing I see is what looks like a relay that was mounted on the firewall above the fuse box in the engine compartment. It has a stud with 3 wires attached. A heavy gauge red wire that looks to have been piggy backed to run to the alternator and starter. An orange wire that runs to the alternator also. Finally a black wire that runs into the fuse box. There is also a separate plastic terminal mounted on the relay with a green and a black wire that run into the fuse box. I also still have the (+) wire that ran to the coil. I understand that only one wire needs to go to the BATT terminal on the distributor, but which one is it? Please don't get too technical, I'm just a novice. Thanks for any help.
GM used a resistor wire in the harness as opposed to a separate ballast resistor. You need to remove this wire and replace it with a regular copper wire.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Any idea what it looks like?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
The resistance is built into the wire, don't use it,
use a new 10g wire from the starter solenoid to the bat. terminal on the dist. cap, that's it, don.
Rich
Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Hi: I'm going to move this thread to the Electrical section.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

If I understand this correctly I need to run a new wire from the post on the solenoid to the BATT terminal. I already have the battery cable and the piggybacked wire I mentioned earlier that runs to the alternator as well on the same post. So I will have 3 wires on the post of the solenoid? Is this correct? Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad88
If I understand this correctly I need to run a new wire from the post on the solenoid to the BATT terminal. I already have the battery cable and the piggybacked wire I mentioned earlier that runs to the alternator as well on the same post. So I will have 3 wires on the post of the solenoid? Is this correct? Thanks
NO!!!

You need a hot wire that is switched on/off (usually coming from the ignition switch) directly to the BAT terminal on the HEI cap.

No resistor wire with GM HEI!

No ballast resistor with GM HEI!

If the wire is not connected thru a switched source you will have no way to shut it off.

Wiring directly from the starter solenoid will make the ignition "ON" all the time.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
NO!!!

You need a hot wire that is switched on/off (usually coming from the ignition switch) directly to the BAT terminal on the HEI cap.

No resistor wire with GM HEI!

No ballast resistor with GM HEI!

If the wire is not connected thru a switched source you will have no way to shut it off.

Wiring directly from the starter solenoid will make the ignition "ON" all the time.
This is correct, a new fresh wire from a switched source is your best bet. Usually there is an unused source in the fuse block or you can remove the old resister wire and replace it with a regular piece of wire. The resistor wire was usually brown if I recall. With an older car that many people have usually worked on I assume nothing. Check everything and re-run wires as needed.

Chet
Old 05-18-2008, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

HEI Conversion

I don't know if you got an answer to your satisfaction on converting to HEI. But this is a good site with plenty of explanation and tips. Others may have the same questions.
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks!!! I was still a little unclear on exactly which wire to use/remove. That was a big help. Should be no problem now.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.