Hot Rod Forum banner

HEI Dist.

914 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Custom10 
#1 ·
I have a 84 C-10 350/350 stock engine , newly rebuilt. The engine has a slight miss and time for either a rebuild on the dist. or a new one. The one I have now has many many miles on it.
Not sure if I should rebuild the one I have or if maybe you guys have seen a good deal on a dist thats new? It is a stock rebuild but I would like a dist thats "blue printed" for the engine.
What are my options?

#2 ·
Catfish11 said:
I have a 84 C-10 350/350 stock engine , newly rebuilt. The engine has a slight miss and time for either a rebuild on the dist. or a new one. The one I have now has many many miles on it.
Not sure if I should rebuild the one I have or if maybe you guys have seen a good deal on a dist thats new? It is a stock rebuild but I would like a dist thats "blue printed" for the engine.
What are my options?
If your distributor still has tight bushings and the advance weight pins aren't worn, your distributor can be used. Unless it's a computer controlled HEI, it'll benefit from a performance curve set up for your particular engine/vehicle- as will all distributors, just some are easier to modify than others.

If your HEI is too far gone (and it's not computer controlled), there are new eBay HEI distributors for under $50, I cannot say what the module is like so to be safe, if using a cheap distributor like that, replace the module. Summit and Jegs, etc. have any number of aftermarket distributors to choose from.

This has been covered numerous times here, you can do a search for more. Also there's a page here w/info that may help you.

#4 ·
For a discount new unit Check out skipwhiteperformance for a deal on a decent HEI 6500R. The "blue printing" is not some thing that is needed with these. What is needed is setting up the limits on the mechanical and vacuum advance. Get a vac adv limiter plate from crane and you can use a machine screw to limit the mechanical adv. Yes there are many threads on the subject.

Lots of things are made over seas and still perform OK, lots of things also don't. I personally know a few of the skip Asian HEI's are in action, all have gone for years without a hitch. if you must then buy American nothing wrong with that either just reach a little further down in the pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.