HEI Distributor in 55 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Distributor in 55 Chevy

Wondering if a standard Chevy 350 HEI distributor will clear the firewall of my 55 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Old does not mean dumb

Last photo:

Paishman, No it will not. Some massaging will be necessary. It is so close with the regular cap, I could not tell you how many rotors I have broken even with restricting the movement rearwards.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:23 PM

Will a Chevy 350 HEI distributor will clear the firewall of my 55 Chevy

If it's a 350 motor in a 55', I've seen it done but you won't be happy. The motor needs to come forward 3/4"+ or bend the firewall. Moving the motor is best.

What dist. is in it now and what is your goal?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:

Hei

TRUST ME MSD IGNITION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. ITS ALOT EASIER
Old 01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

It's been a long, long long time......

But as I remember, In the stock mount location for the engine..No It wont clear, or be VERY close..

I had problems in the past (even with a stock 283 Dizzy) where the motor mounts would break or stretch the engine would rise on the right side sending the Dizzy cap into the firewall, This would Flex (but usually not break) the cap, just enough to nick the tang of the rotor..Net result ....KBOOM...and no run no more..(untill I got the spare rotor out of the glove box and installed it..)

First line of defense in those days was Weld the mounts with a Chain tightly between them..Myself (ON MY 57 because of the dash layout) dumped the glove box, cut a hole in the firewall, and built a Sheetmetal box to fit between the Glove box and firewall and cradle the dizzy..

Being the lazy guy I am, I could service the dizzy through the glove box, while sitting down...A plus on rainy days!

What did I know, I was seventeen, thought the car should always be noisy, smell like a refinery inside, and be warm anytime the engine ran...That was the definition of a FAST car back then...Right? That and if it had baby moons, and glasspacks..and a RAKE..

Doc
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paishman
Wondering if a standard Chevy 350 HEI distributor will clear the firewall of my 55 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop?

Like already said........NO ......if the engine is in the stock location. BUT..... if it was installed with a side mount engine kit.......YES....it could. Most of the kits I have seen to install a SBC into a 55 - 56 - 57 Chevy moved the engine forward....just for that very reason.

When I installed a Big Block Chevy in my 55, years ago....I moved it forward almost 1 inch and made side motor mounts and a transmission mount to go under the transmission ( like the later model Chevy ) ...

Like tiresmoke55 said....a MSD distributor is well worth the investment. I installed one in my 40 Ford with a 283 Quick and easy solution....because I could NOT move the engine forward.

Deuce...

Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 AM

A stock HEI, as stated, move this, beat the heck out of that, destroy the firewall, etc.

NOT AN AD, just FYI, a small body, real, live HEI IS available, as a conversion done to YOUR stock points dist. NOT a PerTronix, but a real HEI.

How do I know this? I invented, and convert points dists to the small body HEI.

Be wary of the Ready to Quit MSD distributors as their modules, which are NOT HEI level output, and the RtQ modules are mounted in the center of the dist, The distributor has to come completely apart for change, and it is soldered to the pickup. Do that by the side of the road. Take your Cold Heat battery powered soldering iron with you if you use one of these dists.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Distributor mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionMan
A stock HEI, as stated, move this, beat the heck out of that, destroy the firewall, etc.

NOT AN AD, just FYI, a small body, real, live HEI IS available, as a conversion done to YOUR stock points dist. NOT a PerTronix, but a real HEI.

How do I know this? I invented, and convert points dists to the small body HEI.

Be wary of the Ready to Quit MSD distributors as their modules, which are NOT HEI level output, and the RtQ modules are mounted in the center of the dist, The distributor has to come completely apart for change, and it is soldered to the pickup. Do that by the side of the road. Take your Cold Heat battery powered soldering iron with you if you use one of these dists.
I am running a 1966 Corvette point distributor with mechanical tach drive. How much would it cost to convert to HEI?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Distributor

I am running a 66 Corvette point distributor with mechanical tach drive. I don't want points anymore. Pertronix is an option since standard HEI won't fit. I am up for suggestions.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:10 PM

If you would give me a real e/mail address, I will send you pics. As I said, this IS NOT AN AD, SO....off the board, please.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paishman
I am running a 66 Corvette point distributor with mechanical tach drive. I don't want points anymore. Pertronix is an option since standard HEI won't fit. I am up for suggestions.
I installed the Pertronix and was VERY impressed.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:44 AM

As far as I am concerned, PerTronix ISN'T an option, it is a junker setup that needs removal. Want a real ignition system for the Corvette, you have two choices, my small body HEI conversion for the tach drive dist, or MSD tach drive dist (or one of my MSD trigger dist conversions to the Corvette dist), and 6AL or digital 6 series MSD box.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.