Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HEI Distributor and Alternator, ford 460
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Distributor and Alternator, ford 460

K so im a tad stuck, Brought and installed a hei dizzy but i have no idea how to wire it up properly, its 1 wire to the battery and the car runs algud but only way to turn it off is take the wire off. How and where do i put this wire so it turns off when i turn the key off?

Iv been searching all over for a positive wire thats connected to the ignition switch but i can't find ****, I found one wire tested 12vs when key turned on and 0 when turned off but the problem was as soon as i put that wire with the dizzy wire it dropped to like 8 volts and wasnt enuff to start it? like as soon as i touch the wire the the dizzy one it drops voltage . . . .

also my alternator . . . how do i test this is working? its not wired up yet i brought a new voltage regulator etc but doesnt seem to work maybe i wired it up wrong? but how can i test that its my wiring or the alternator? iv started the car and put a volt meter directly on the red terminal on the alternator and ground but doesnt show any volts? does the voltage regulator need wired in for the alternator to work ? can someone point me in the right direction to seeing if my alternator is stuffed and how to wire it up properly?

I got a diagram from the auto electrician on how to wire it up but it says a wire from the regulator to ignition switch but i cant seem to find a dam positive 12volt wire on the ignition switch the only one i found as soon as i touch the voltage regulator wire to it it drops to 4volts . . . also this is the same wire i tried hooking the hei distributor upto.

Grrrrr the stupid guy should of deloomed the engine bay when he took the old engine out its like a million wires everywhere half dont even go anywhere got wires under the dash not hooked up and alsorts, iv got a ford 460 in an xj6 jaguar