HEI Distributor Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Distributor Problem

I was working on the car tonight and found a problem with the distributor. I was letting the car run to charge the battery, while I was doing this I decided to clean the dust off the chrome air cleaner. As soon as I touched it the car died. I restarted the car it ran fine as soon as I began to clean the air cleaner it died again. I then decided to push down on the air cleaner only to hear arcing. I looked and the 3 wires coming from the side of the distributor were arcing against some metal. Upon further investigation I found that the insulation was totally rotted off in some spots (not good) The wires are the ones that go into the plug towards the top of the distributor. Do they make a replacement plug and harness or am I into a new distributor?

Regards
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

If its the plug that goes in the side of the cap, towards the top, drivers side, you can probably get one at a GM dealer.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I use a regular female spade connector. Crimp it on the wire and stuff it on to the terminal. If you ever have a problem with it falling out then you can drill a small hole and run a screw through it.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:48 PM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:

Went to Auto Zone tonight and the person behind the counter new exactly what I had. She said she had just had to replace one on a SBC 400 herself. She then walked back and brought one out of the back. It turns out the wires they use on the condenser plug assm. are rubber and self destruct from smog and such. Ran back home installed it while I was in there put fresh grease on the module and she fired right up. Funny it even seem to run smoother than normal. That made me start to wonder if a weak condenser could cause erratic ruff idle.

Regards
Mark

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.