HEI Distributor problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Distributor problems

Hey guys I have a band new HEI distributor in my 1990 chevy small block 350. I hooked up 12v from the battery and tried to fire the car up. There was no spark at all, and after about 15 minutes I noticed that the coil on top of the distributor was very hot as well as the wire running to the battery. I am confussed because these are pretty strait forward. You just hook up 12volts and go. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Dustin.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I bet it ain't a Delco.

If there's any doubt, don't burn it OR your wiring up- box it back up and return it after getting a return confirmation number or whatever that may be required to return it if it was bought online. Or trot it back to the parts store if that's where you got it. But bottom line- return it- IF you hooked the battery voltage up to the correct terminal and get no spark (and everything else is correct).

Has this engine ever ran- previous to THIS HEI?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It has before, I just got done rebuilding the motor and bought a new distributor. I'm 100% sure I have it connected to the correct terminal. Thats why I'm so confused. They are just so simple. I will bring it back for a delco one and let you know what happens. Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa3990
It has before, I just got done rebuilding the motor and bought a new distributor. I'm 100% sure I have it connected to the correct terminal. Thats why I'm so confused. They are just so simple. I will bring it back for a delco one and let you know what happens. Thanks
A new Delco will cost a lot, and isn't what I would recommend- it was brought up as a dig on it being offshore.

Please, check around for another good aftermarket distributor like an MSD, etc. or even a good, used OEM unit- I do not want you to spend any more than necessary!

I'm glad the engine was already broken in- there's nothing much worse than a "no-start" condition when trying to start an engine for the first time.

Good luck.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.