Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - HEI with Ford Duraspark module to retard timing under boost
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto
I just found out that the white wire in the Duraspark module retards like 6 degrees the timing to help cranking, well if I wire a boost switch that activates at something like 3 psi and wire it to the white wire it will retard the ignition timing and let me run more boost on my supercharged SBC 350.

the question is, can I trigger the duraspark with the HEI reluctor?

I know, since I have done, that the Ford reluctor triggers the HEI module but have never done the other way, I guess it should, shouldn't it?

I've heard that the duraspark can't handle much primary current, can it handel a big yellow Accel coil?

any ideas about the boost switch? I already looked and the buick turbo switch is not available over here.

thanks
You may be able to retard timing with the white wire, but you will need to verify that as the red may be hot also, which may hav an effect or not while running, not sure about that part of the duraspark module.
I do know however that the duraspark keeps the coil on ( grounded) when the engine is not running but the key is on, the coil is allways charging/hot and that can cause coil burnout and kill modules.
The GM HEI module on the other hand turns the Coil - on and off, developing ignition dwell time to fire the coil, keeping it saturated well without over heating it like the duraspark.when the GM HEI is on and the engine is not running the hei doesnt keep the coil grounded, so it wont overheat the coil / module if the key is on and the motor isnt running.
Some of the early 5 pin modules like the HEI/EMR (electronic module retard) use a ground to the 5th pin to retard the timing.