Hot Rod Forum banner

hei ignition distributor

909 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mud.man.rj 
#1 ·
Hi , new member -had to join after seeing all the good advice given to others,my question is , after reading the other blogs about the very problem
i am having, have a question ? what is the coil pickup and where is it located in the distributor? and when can i find it and how do i check it? Thanks for the help Buick66 :confused:

#2 ·
The pickup coil sets under the mechanical advance mechanism in the very bottom of the distributor. It is connected to the module via two wires. Disconnect these two wires and check the resistant of the coil. Should be between 500-1500 ohms. Most of the pickup coils I have checked came in under 1000 Ohms. Check the insulation on the wires where they go into the coil itself. Everytime the vacuum advance moves these wire flex. Over time they break, the insulation falls off, etc.

#3 ·
Don't know if I missed something here, but you have no spark so heading for the pickup coil, not common to go unless like was stated already that one of the two wires break, usually it is the module which is right beside it and you can;t change the coil if you have to unless you remove the distrib and knock the roll pin out of the end and pull the shaft from distrib. :smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.