HEI Ignition Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Triple G

Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Ignition Help

When detailing my Hot Rod for a Car Show, I removed my ignition wires (one-by-one) from their wiring harness/brackets and wiped them off with ArmorAll Protective Wipes. I thought I was being carefull to get the right wires back in the right places, but maybe not? When the work was done, I started the motor up and went for a drive. The motor started right up, but seemed to idle just a little rough (nothing major), but then when I backed off the gas, the car back-fired at low rpm's. Also, didn't seem to have the original horsepower? The motor is a Chevy Small Block 350 with a stock (Advance Auto Parts) HEI Ignition. I know the firing order on the block/cylinders, etc., but what about the distributor cap? Starring at the front of the block & distributor, which is #1,#2,#3,etc.? I looked for numbers, on the cap, but no luck? Could I have a couple wires crossed - in the wrong position? (I know the ones on the plug ends are in the correct position, they fit right back in their brackets as assembled. Anybody got a drawing of the firing order on the cap? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Your first mistake MAY have been putting Amoral on HEI plug wires..If they are even slightly broken down, they will crossfire like a bigdawg.....

Second, The Fire Order is, for an SBC, 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, (And this is important) **-->5, 7,<--** 2...IF 7 and 5 Are reversed..It will display the performance issues you describe also. 5 and 7 are most common because they are the ONLY 2 wires next to each other at BOTH ends..So Triple CHECK!!

Direction of rotation is Clockwise, and Traditionally #1 plug tower is located between 5 and 7 O'Clock..(although it could be anywhere predicated on clearance issues.)

Facing the engine...
The Driver's side bank:

The Passenger's Side Bank:

Doc
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Triple G

Wiki Edits: 0

HEI Ignition Help

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your help! You were right ... #5 & #7 were reversed. It wasn't the ArmorAll after all. The ignition wires are Taylor Brand and are like new, so I figured it was probably something else. (I forgot to mention, I Armor-All'd one side at a time, days apart. After doing the passenger side first, I had driven the car with no problems) Just in case though, I think next time I'll use WD40. Glad you "suggested" I Triple check my work. Thanks again!
Grant
p.s. - know anything about keeping chrome headers from bluing or tarnishing?
(see my post & thread under General Hot Rod discussion)
Old 08-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.