HEI Modules - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
The other thing is that there are many reboxed stock replacement offshore modules, which all suck, they fail early and they tend to put out a lot of signal noise, I went through 3 modules in a month before I went to a better brand. These were NOT performance modules though and I have never used a mallory one.

DUI modules seem to have a good reputation and I have never had problems with an ACDelco module, there's another brand I just started using as well that seems to be holding up fine but the name escapes me at the moment, its something like BRG but that's not it. Its 3 letters beginning with a B.
bwd (borg warner)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Old & Furious

Bad coils will trash the moduales very quickly if you replace the mod replace the coil as well. Also bad grounds and wires can cause all kinds fo problems heat is also a big factor.

Do you have a ground strap on your engines to the frame or body that has a solid ground. Without the ground strap grounding to the block is not the quick fix. also check the ground straps for bad connections and loose or frayed wires.

also look at the wire and connectors the mod plugs into they too can cause major issues. any type of weak signal will put extra heat into the moduale and force it to work harder. Best to keep them clean and new if possible.

Newer mod have different guts than some of the older ones even thou the end result is the same gm updated the part number years ago but a lot of aftermarkets still sell the crappy design becasue that is what they have. so many of the gm moduales with the updated part number will last twice as long as the cheap aftermarket.

If they are msd call them and ***** and let them figure out why they failed and possibly replace them for free.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM

I was reading this thread and nodding my head with the fact that I too seem to be another victim of a poor quality off shore module.

Initially I was experiencing an engine miss under high load which prompted me to replace the plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor, also the external coil { its a 95 truck with the 350 TBI }. None of those items made any difference so I took it to my mechanic to check things out and from his experience he felt the original distributor was most likely at fault and replace it with a "new" one from a parts supplier. Yes, that did solve the miss under load so I can only assume ether the old module or the distributor possibly becoming magnetized could have been the cause. So I thought all should be good now but no, a week later the engine would start and quit a few times before it would stay running, also quit randomly when coming to a stop and not on the throttle or buck and jerk the driveline violently out of the blue when at lower rpm but high load. Long story short, the module kicked out a code so the engine check light was on and it was tested at a shop and they said the body of the module was not grounding because of an internal failure. I replaced it myself with a GM Delco unit and that part of the dist has been good since. I did note that the prongs were physically smaller in diameter on the aftermarket module compared to the GM one which in my mind told me it was manufactured as cheaply as possible. Now I am having the gear on this same unit wearing at a high rate after replacing the cam shaft and I called the rep for the company that supplies this brand of new or reman parts and he said right off ... these distributors even though they are brand new, are junk !. My jaw fell open for the simple reason, how often do you hear the rep for a supplier of parts just out and out tell a customer that sadly they are handling a totally inferior product. I was going to replace the gear with a genuine GM unit but then come to find the shaft size is unique to the offshore unit so .... I ordered a brand new GM Delco distributor and the parts supplier will take this one back !. What a gong show and the insane amount of shop $$$ to figure out its due to poor quality parts.

So StudebakerTom, beware the offshore pitfalls of "will fit parts" and if you need to replace a cap/coil or module, choose one that these gentlemen are suggesting rather then be tempted by a lower price.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

There are so many options,,, this is one that makes sense. Over seas module? dont know, dont care. Mine has 15 ooo miles on it and never missed a beat. I know of few more of these, not one problem, try and beat the value.

White Performance Detail Description

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.