hei question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hei question

I was wondering how how wired up a factory gm hei distributor. I have heard they just need a hot wire but I am not sure. I would prefer to run this over a points distributor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Psychomotors

On my 70 Nova and the couple old trucks I've had,I ran an 8 gauge wire to the pink hot wire on the ign switch.If you're wiring this in a Ford, I don't know which one is your hot wire and you will have to look in a service manual or use a tester.You will only have 12v when the car is running and no probs
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM

All I know is get rid of any resistor wire that may have gone to your coil.

Next, an un-fused ignition switched B+ wire goes to the BAT terminal on the HEI distributor.

You may have to splice in an additional wire to the B+ distributor terminal that is hot during cranking (a wire from the resistor terminal on your remote solenoid), if your main ignition switch doesn't do that for you. My old '57 chevy had this issue. It had IGN1 and IGN2 switch terminals.

Sometimes there is a "feedback" problem that prevents the engine from stopping because current from the alternator has a path back to the ignition switch.

If you have a little generator idiot lamp in the circuit, you are spared this aggravation. If not, you may need to install a diode (#276-1661) from rat shack. Solder it in series anywhere between the alternator's #1 terminal and it's termination at your ignition switch (IGN1). Orient the painted stripe on the diode toward the alternator's side of the circuit.

If you have an IGN2 terminal on your ignition switch, I also install another diode somewhere between the switch's IGN2 terminal and it's termination at the IGN1 splice at the distributor.

Some people just solder a diode between the IGN1 and IGN2 terminals at the ignition switch (solder the diode with it's stripe closest to the IGN1 terminal). Then you can forget all about having an IGN2 terminal on your ignition switch.

Mark Hamilton at madelectrical.com has kits and excellent explanations for all these issues.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

one hot wire is all to ign unfused use an inline fuse

easy simple done cake walk

dont use the original small cloth wrapped wire anymore, and the yellow wire from starter to coil do away with this also
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Last photo:

Be sure you are not using the original resistance wire. You need a properly sized copper wire to that HEI unit.

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.