HEI "teeth" not lining up??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HEI "teeth" not lining up???

I am in the process of putting my pontiac 400 back together after I took the engine apart and degreed the cam. My problem is with the distributor, which by the way is a summit HEI pontiac distributor.

From everything I have ever done, almost all sbc stuff, I placed the hei distributor into the engine with the crank set at about 10 DBTC as a start. Then I would line the rotor up roughly with a mark I made on the dist. where a post would be by turning the distributor (assuming the shaft is properly engaged with the cam and oil pump). Then I would take off the rotor and make sure the "teeth" on the shaft and dist. are lined up.

So I go through the process with this hei by marking the dist. where the plug post is. Then I removed the cap and lined up the rotor, then I checked the teeth. The teeth are almost completly off!!! The teeth are not even close to lining up, the are about in the middle of each other!! If I move the vacuum advance with my finger while the rotor is pointing at the plug post the teeth come alot closer to lining up.

Whats going on here? This dist. was in the car running last year with no problems. It was pulled this spring when the engine was pulled and rebuilt. the dist. is only about 2 yrs. old.

any help would be great!

thanks,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

What "Teeth" are you talking about????????????

If the Dizzy is in place...and the shaft is lining up you CAN NOT see the cam teeth..(Unless the manifold isn't on..a major Faux pau on an SBC..)

If your talking about the inductive "Star" points..Don't sweat where they align up..you take care of that with advance / Retard of the Dizzy body..

To Do it CORRECTLY...

#1 TDC, COMPRESSION, Both Valves closed , Timing marks lined up..rotor set to #1 Plug tower, dead center of it..

If the Dizzy CAME out of it and it ran...It surely Will go BACK in it and run...IF you do it correctly..

Doc
Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

What Doc said. One side note. Having owned a lot of Ponchos, I know the harmonic balancers are not the most robust. The rings can slip around. If you are using a stock balancer, did you check to make sure TDC is true TDC?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

the teeth i was talking about are the "star" points. Yup its at tdc. I guess I will try dropping it in and see what happens.

thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM

Your talking about the rotor being out of phase. What I typically shoot for is making sure the phasing lines up at cruise advance, 32, 34, 38 degrees BTDC. Get it close then fire up the motor and base time it. Roll the motor over to whatever your total is under cruise and check the phasing. Close enough is close enough. If it's too far off you'll see the arcing on the inside of the cap posts, it will look different on the leading edge.

It would seem your OK as from what I gather if you pull in the advance it begins to correct.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.