Heidt's\ TCI or Fat man ? for a 56 F100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 11:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Heidt's\ TCI or Fat man ? for a 56 F100

I have a 56 f100 w/ a 302 to aod combo runs real nice but the strait axle has just got to go. I have been looking at the heidt's superride 2 kit and the total cost involved kit that look's very similar . Does anyone have any experience putting one of these kit's in a 56, I sure would like to here some feedback to help steer me in a good direction....THANK'S, Devin

I have read some of the postís regarding these kitís so please donít be insulted, Iím curious if anyone has ideas of other alternatives to these kits. Maybe just getting the tci cross member, tubular a arms & getting the rest from a donor car?

Advertisement

Last edited by 56f100; 08-03-2003 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 02:21 AM

Last photo:

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/
hope this link works, its my first atempt at trying this link stuff.
If it does, this guy has a great how to on MII install into a ford truck
Old 08-11-2003, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

You may want to check with those manufacturers to make sure that they have something for it. You might find that they dont..... Also dont forget to check into Scotts hot Rods and No limit eng. All of those are reputable manufacturers.......
Old 08-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Well, Iv'e never put an M-II setup in a 53-56 F100 but I wish I had. I sold my 53 F100 to my brother-in-law and it's been sitting in his garage, ever since. I did put a Heidt's setup in my 53 Chev hardtop and it fit like a glove and drives great. I've talked to a few people who've used both the Heidt's and the TCI in their old F100's and they all seem to be happy with the fit.

<This makes me want Henry's old half-ton back now! How do you convince a brother-in-law, fair value on a rust free 53 shorty is worth less than two G's??>
Old 08-12-2003, 08:42 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Depends on how much of a break you gave him when you sold it! Maybe he has plans for it. But talk to sister if bro in law is stubborn about selling back -- maybe she's tired of the thing taking up garage space...
Old 08-12-2003, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

56F100 - Here's another idea. RB's obsolete truck parts makes a great frame clip especially designed to weld right to your frame rails. Al you need is an old Monte Carlo to get the rest of the related hardware you'll need to go along with it. I think it's a great way to go. You can get 'em with either Ford or Chevy motor mounts...

Farna - His Sister happens to be my wife.. <chuckle> I have a feeling she'd try and nix the idea. I might be better off on my own with this thing, trying to "repo" my old truck. <grin>

http://www5.mailordercentral.com/rbs...item=1&mitem=1

Last edited by PrimeMover; 08-12-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:35 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Prime... If you married his sister, he may do anything to keep you happy. I know I don't want my brother-in-law to get away from my sister. We are happy with where she is!
Old 08-12-2003, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

You've got a point there... I let the truck go for $2500 - He stole it! - I'd dearly love to steal it back at the same price. Trouble is, everytime I bring up the truck, the subject gets changed. He's embarassed it just sits but he isn't about to cut loose with the 10-15 grand it'll take to do the truck right...

I'll keep workin' on him even if I have to hit up the 401k once again, afterall... what's retirement without toys? Someday he'll need money and stumble for the idea.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Cool

I tell you what I experienced looking for an MII for my '45 PU. Being a truck driver I got to go to each manufacturer I was interested in around the country. The majority of them are strictly profit oriented, probably not the the way they started but the way they are now. I asked to see the production facilities and was turned away at one, the next one used welders who spoke next to no english and didn't even know what they were making, and where I finally wound up was at Fatmans as every employee starts at the bottom and works their way up. This was also the only place that did allow me free access to every area of production and answered everyone of my sometimes stupid questions. You hear bad things about every buisiness sooner or later so the best suggestion I can give you is check the manufacturers reviews. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

jalopy45 - interesting post. I've been seriously looking for an outfit thats non-profit orientated. I haven't found one yet.. The only thing I ask is that the parts I purchase are of good quality, they all fit, and hopfully the outfit I buy them from hires all thier employees state side of the Reo Grande.

If you can find a Fatman QC guy that can track that, PM me. I'm interested in buying some stock.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Cool

Primemover, the profit based area I was trying to refer to was related to quality vs profit. some sacrafice quality to make the profit or to try and be the lowest price. All businesses need to make a profit to stay afloat, I just try and buy the best quality product or labor I can afford.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out Street rod engineering, I'm very happy with them, decent prices, quality product. Out of Lake Havaseu, Az. Also listed in our directory. Dan
Old 08-23-2003, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by jalopy45
I just try and buy the best quality product or labor I can afford.
I here ya, I do too.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:21 PM

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with jalopy45 wanting to physically look at what your going to be buying. I was able to go to several rod shops and "kick" several different mfg's IFS for my '50 Chev pickup prior to making up my mind.

I settled on the Dodge Dakota IFS by Industrial Chassis. I will be installing the cross-member sometime within the next 2 weeks.

I liked the Dakota IFS for the following reasons.

1. 1990's technology vs. 1970's technology.
2. The Dakota cross-member is heavier duty than other products I looked at that are patterned after MII front ends.
3. The Dakota is a truck, a small truck but still a truck, and I'm building a truck. Something I can put 20K miles on a year.
4. A check at the local wrecking yard showed Dakota front clips for around $250.
5. Some parts are less expensive for the Dakota than for the MII. I didn't check all parts, just power racks.

For what I'm building I don't need polished tubular A-arms. I just need a nice ride.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:32 AM

What ever after market package you select, be sure to insist on ball joint boots that REALLY FIT! I have a FatMan Stage II package and the boots do not fully protect the ball joints. Now I have to break down the upper and lower A arms to replace the boots. I spoke to Brent (the Owner of FatMan) and he could only tell me it was "How he gets them from his supplier" It was not an answer, it was an excuse for crappy boots. Heidt uses a boot that is a little taller with a steel ring molded into the boot. Much Better! This is what I am going to install on my set up. Be Careful and don't buy until you are absolutly sure.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.